Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I end up at the dealership. It was my first time there as I had purchased my vehicle from a non VW dealer. I was there because of my check engine (Multi function indicator lamp). It came on earlier in the day and I took the car to a mechanic friend who said the code was the the MAF sensor. He said if it came back on after he cleared it to go to the dealer and let them fix it (since the car is under warranty).

I end up at the dealership. There they tell me it is in fact the sensor. They then say the sensor likely failed because the fuel injection area including the throttle plate area was so nasty. They tell me I need to get that cleaned and that the warranty will not pay for that because it should have been done as a part of the routine service to the car. Since I did not have the car the first 24k I didn't try to fight with them. They did the following according to my bill:
fuel injection: clean units
perform fuel injection cleaning service
fuel system maintenance
performed fuel injection cleaning including throttle plate

In addition they replaced the air filter which they said was clogged.

My total bill was 180.
Should I have complained about the cleaning? Was it necessary? The service tech said if I didn't do it now it would likely cost lots more down the road. Opinions?

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
The MAF sensor measures the incoming air long before it reaches the throttle, so there's no way the throttle could possibly have anything to do with the MAF being dead.

That said, the throttle could probably use a good cleaning anyway, so maybe you should just let them do it if you don't want to unbolt it and scrub it yourself. If you do let them do it, DEMAND that they take it off and clean it instead of spraying the cleaner on it while it's still attached. I had that done on a previous car and the nasty stuff literally got stuck in the valves and kept the valves from closing. I'm sure you can figure out what kinds of problems THAT caused.

Then when you get it back, look for a fresh green gasket where it connects to the intake manifold. (The whole thing will be attached at the end of a big rubber tube going to the top of the engine.)

·
Grinding Gears...gone fishing!
22,610 Posts
next time if you have time consult here and then decide or just have em do what the warrenty will cover and have a printout or writeup of what they want to do and charge you for.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
next time if you have time consult here and then decide or just have em do what the warrenty will cover and have a printout or writeup of what they want to do and charge you for.
Now there's a good idea. Sounds like I should have questioned it. In the meantime I have this salesman trying his best to sell me a new one. I guess every single girl needs a nice guy to show up at the car dealership with her. Sounds like they took advantage of me. This is the closest dealership so I will have to go back. You can be sure I will consult here before the next visit.

·
Grinding Gears...gone fishing!
22,610 Posts
what state are you in and city(if you feel like allowing that info)
we can find somewhere better for you to go to.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Yeah, what Scott said. A lot of the time these types of services are the bread and butter that is nearly pure profit for a shop -- while $180 isn't the biggest amount of money in the world, it is still a few days worth of your hard-earned money for something not related to your MAF.

Jiffy Lube and the like are notorious for such "services" that you probably don't need, and that can cause problems. Sad to hear the dealer doing this.

If I were you I would call the Service Manager (not the service writer/advisor that helped you) and ask him what he knows about it, why it was offered to you in a way that made it seem connected to your repair, and ask for 50% of your money back for being mislead.

If he doesn't work with you, you could talk to the dealer owner if you think it would be useful, or give VWoA a call and at least have them write down your complaint.

I'm not one to ask for something free or try to rip anyone off, but it sounds like you got upsold by the dealer.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This was FLOW motors in Winston Salem, NC. I am currently scanning the actual bill. I will post it so you can take a look.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Looks like they added the fuel injection cleaning service. Did you ask for that to be done? That was $100 of the bill, the rest looks ok. Though, .5 hours to change an air filter?

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
Farking liars.
also for future reference as far as the warranty is concerned you only need to do whats in the manual
(you may want to do more for the long term in your car though)
MAF should eb a wararnty item. only way they might be able to deny is if there was a K&N and apparently these days K&N will go to bat for you on those claims.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Looks like they added the fuel injection cleaning service. Did you ask for that to be done? That was $100 of the bill, the rest looks ok. Though, .5 hours to change an air filter?
I did agree for the fuel injection cleaning. That was, however after the service dept told me that was likely the reason for the sensor failing.

Farking liars.
also for future reference as far as the warranty is concerned you only need to do whats in the manual
(you may want to do more for the long term in your car though)
MAF should eb a wararnty item. only way they might be able to deny is if there was a K&N and apparently these days K&N will go to bat for you on those claims.
I am sorry. I am not familiar with the term K&N.

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
Did anyone noticed they charged 9.97 for TB cleaner(seems high) but they did not charge for a new gasket. Wonder if they removed it from the car.

Also if they said the fault MAF was because of the injectors that is just dump.

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
they're full of shit. the MAF has NOTHING to do with the fuel injectors. the MAF deals with AIR and nothing else.
hey....maybe somehow the dirt and crap flowed backwards from the injectors, out of the manifold, through the throttle body, through the ic, and back through the MAF :lol:

realistically speaking though, yeah, the sensor didn't fail because of the dirty fuel system.

oh, and next time, if they say something silly like that, get them to put it on the explanation on the work order, and you'll go ahead and authorize the work. i'm pretty sure they'll change their minds, as they'll look like major idiots with that kind of an explanation.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts