Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any one know of any good aftermarket CV axles?
The OEM VW are expensive!
A few years ago I put some in from Auto zone and it caused an annoying vibration..... The OEM are hollow and absorb the vibes.... I know u can get em from raxels but they are expensive too, if you do not have OEM's to trade in.
Open to suggestions?

·
Administrator
23,351 Posts
Just get new joints or buy an AZ axle and swap the joints.

·
in dire need of an organic chemistry lesson
2,285 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I put NAPA MaxDrive (94-2004 and 94-2005) axles in my TDI just over a year ago to cure a bad shake at idle. Very happy with them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I went with some (insert well known parts store name) axles. Got about 3000 miles out of them before they started making noise and coming apart. Have since put over 10k on some OEMs. "You get what you pay for" holds true in this case.

·
Administrator
23,351 Posts
I went with some (insert well known parts store name) axles. Got about 3000 miles out of them before they started making noise and coming apart. Have since put over 10k on some OEMs. "You get what you pay for" holds true in this case.
It’s ok, you can bash, I mean mention them if you want.

I have cardone remans on mine for the last 15k or so. Held up to a proper bashing when I took it on the Tail Of The Dragon a few years back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Just called them for the heck of it to see their prices for my Acura. When I told him the dealer charges $235 for new OEM axles he told me that's a great deal. He wouldn't sell it for that price.
Which is how businesses go out of business. There’s being firm on price, and there’s being ignorant of what goes on in the world around you.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Hello Smitty,
I've suffered with Passat axles for about 20 years. Still don't understand why the boots rip. I have had raxle remans for about 5 years I think. (Too lazy to look it up!) Boots still tear. Inner boot last time.
Seems to me that if you are adept at removing and replacing the axles simply buy aftermarket axles with a generous return guarantee. (Amazon maybe?) And swap them out until you're satisfied.
Otherwise, if you intend to keep the car, you'll have to do it the old fashioned way. Get oem axles from somewhere and repair them as needed. (BTW, junk yards will sell you anything as oem and dare you to tell the difference. It's a junkyard . The disclaimer's right there in the title.)

·
Registered
77 Posts
I replaced mine with ones from Advance Auto Parts...Carquest brand if I remember right...They've been great for the last 10k...Some times you just get lucky?

·
2,285 Posts
I am also puzzled (and angry) about CV boot rips in my Passat. Why they rip in Passat so often compared to other cars? I've always let shops change the boots for me and paid a lot for it. Next time I'll use an used axle and won't worry too much if it's not perfect since the car is too old now.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I am also puzzled (and angry) about CV boot rips in my Passat. Why they rip in Passat so often compared to other cars? I've always let shops change the boots for me and paid a lot for it. Next time I'll use an used axle and won't worry too much if it's not perfect since the car is too old now.
My understanding is the less sharp angled turns you make the longer they will last because they are overstretched on their design and intened use in our cars.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
My understanding is the less sharp angled turns you make the longer they will last because they are overstretched on their design and intened use in our cars.
This is correct. The boots really are too short and making full lock left and right turns simply stretches them too far. Even aftermarket boots are too short.

Aftermarkets are a total crap shoot. They are either good or shit. I had to replace mine and got one from Western Auto (Formally CarQuest) which gets all i's German parts from WorldPac who state are OEM parts. I instantly had vibration at idle as well as upon acceleration. I have just dealt with it. It did not have any identifing Audi/VW stamp that I can remember like my original had.

·
Registered
26,187 Posts
Yes, the more city driving, parallel parking and lowering, the faster they wear. I've replaced hundreds over the years but my own cars seem to last longer as my drop is moderate (1.25-1.5") and I rarely ever have to turn the wheel lock to lock. 50K is about average for CV boots.

·
2,285 Posts
Next time a CV boot tears on my car, I will try to seal it with black RTV and see what happens. Just an experiment.

·
Administrator
23,351 Posts
Yes, the more city driving, parallel parking and lowering, the faster they wear. I've replaced hundreds over the years but my own cars seem to last longer as my drop is moderate (1.25-1.5") and I rarely ever have to turn the wheel lock to lock. 50K is about average for CV boots.
Same here, though less of a drop. I replaced the OEM boots at around 60k or so and never had another issue until I took the axles out at 160k to do my manual swap

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yeah my 04 passat boots keep ripping. I do turn the wheel all the way when parking due to parrallel parking which may be the culprit. I have gone thru 3-4 sets over the past 3 years but autozone keeps warrantying them :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts