Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had the oil pan replaced on my sons passat and within minutes of driving away, the "stop" came on dash. There was no problems before changing the oil pan...He was told its the oil tension chain? Is this something that was a mistake made by the mechanic? The car was not driven at all ofter the oil pan was broken. Towed to the shop same day. PLEASE HELP

Reply from Andreas Passat

Oil tension chain is an incorrect description.
Whether it's a 1.8 or 2.8 the oil pump is driven in the same manner which is via a chain that has a spring loaded plastic guide pad that keeps tension on the chain.

The oil pump and chain is so plainly visible when the oil pan is removed it'll slap you in the face.
Regardless of what reason is behind all of this, any decent mechanic would have noticed if there was an issue with oil pump chain.

There's more to this story. Please fill us in with all the details. This will help determine your next course of action.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited by Moderator)
The oil pan was damaged from hitting a curb. The car was never drove after that until after the oil pan was repaired, it was towed directly to the shop. After the repair, within 2 miles from the shop the dash flashed the "STOP" signal. The car was towed back to the shop and the mechanic told him it was the oil tension chain and wants to charge him to fix it.
From my research, if thats what it is, he should have repaired that when repairing the oil pan. I feel like i had a shady mechanic. Or a stupid one?

·
Registered
2001.5 Stage1+ Motoza 1.8t. 200K-Mile High club
105 Posts
Was the pan damaged in the front from the curb? Im assuming its the oil STOP light. Which is usually either. Bad oil pressure. Or a fault switch. The chain and pump are both directly in your face with removal of the pan. Now if the pump is damaged or the pick up screen is clogged. Yes. Thatd be the reason for the light. Due to low oil pressure. Mechanic should have inspected all parts or at leasted verified the rest was okay.....

Did the mechanic put the correct pan on. Meaning. Is your oil level sensor broken? Plugged in? Should be a square black box with a connector. At very bottom of your oil pan. Cant swap a pan that doesnt have the sensor port if yours did. I would wait and here from the mechanic

Ik tows get expensive. And so do garages. I would try to find another reputable garage. If the mechanics reasoning for more work is not sound

1 - 4 of 4 Posts