Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this Passat passed down to me and it’s been having some engine misfire issues recently. Sometimes i’ll get in and it’ll be sputtering and stuttering during the idle but while i drive it’ll usually start to fix itself but still feel a little off. I’ve used a code reader and it tells me all cylinders misfire. The engine light will blink sometimes for a number of times but then turn off. One time it blinked 7 times then a little later it blinked 11 times and stoped. I still drove on it because the screen in the middle didn’t tell me to stop. Im just wondering if anyone could give me some ideas on what to check for.

· Moderator/Administrator
26,111 Posts
Please post the actual codes. They can sometimes mean more than just "a misfire" . By the way, the blinking CEL is a way of saying stop. It won't actually say stop unless you run out of oil or coolant or are overheating. Blinking CEL is misfire and you are sending unburnt fuel into the cat which can ruin it in short order.

· PassatWorld Elder
8,373 Posts
Yes, a blinking CEL means something is very wrong with the way the engine is running.
A fair amount of people think that after the CEL has gone out the problem is no more. That is not the case.
As VAGguy suggested, post the codes, all of them then go from there.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have this Passat passed down to me and it’s been having some engine misfire issues recently. Sometimes i’ll get in and it’ll be sputtering and stuttering during the idle but while i drive it’ll usually start to fix itself but still feel a little off. I’ve used a code reader and it tells me all cylinders misfire. The engine light will blink sometimes for a number of times but then turn off. One time it blinked 7 times then a little later it blinked 11 times and stoped. I still drove on it because the screen in the middle didn’t tell me to stop. Im just wondering if anyone could give me some ideas on what to check for.
Please post the actual codes. They can sometimes mean more than just "a misfire" . By the way, the blinking CEL is a way of saying stop. It won't actually say stop unless you run out of oil or coolant or are overheating. Blinking CEL is misfire and you are sending unburnt fuel into the cat which can ruin it in short order.
the codes are Secondary Air Injection System incorrect flow, Random/Multiple Cylinder misfire, Cylinder 1-4 misfire, and System to lean Bank . I took out the spark plugs and there covered in oil

26,111 Posts
Sorry for my lack of specificity. I mean the code, not the description. You know, like P0300.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Automotive tire Metal Auto part Font Electric blue

Audio equipment Cameras & optics Gas Automotive tire Machine

These were the old spark plugs i replaced and those holes where the ignition coils had oil in them.

· PassatWorld Elder
8,373 Posts
Common problem to the 1.8's and the V6's.
There's a gasket that runs down the middle underside of the valve cover, that gasket is what seals off the cylinder head and all of the oil underneath the valve cover.
A basic valve cover gasket kit runs less than $30.

Many times, excessive oil in the plug wells cause misfires.

26,111 Posts
Common problem to the 1.8's and the V6's.
There's a gasket that runs down the middle underside of the valve cover, that gasket is what seals off the cylinder head and all of the oil underneath the valve cover.
A basic valve cover gasket kit runs less than $30.

Many times, excessive oil in the plug wells cause misfires.
Yep. Common because of PCV piping getting clogged up and causing excess pressure in the crankcase.

@Prestonj Before you replace the gaskets, get a PCV breather kit. I listed a cheap one and a better but more expensive one.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a 2004 GLS 1.8t Passat. It’s been having some issues recently with engine misfire and i replace valve cover gasket and now i have this part (part number 058133784AF) It’s been coming loose and currently it’s zip tied together while the part is coming in this weekend. I checked it and it was hissing like air is escaping while it is running. How long do you think i can run on it? Would it be fine i just leave it till about friday to put the part on or what ?

· Registered
485 Posts
@Prestonj Before you replace the gaskets, get a PCV breather kit. I listed a cheap one and a better but more expensive one.
I don't think that kit will fit a 2004 Passat 1.8T AWM because I have a 2003 1.8T AWM and the PCV valve is different. Also that metal pipe on the back of the engine is a PITA to replace. I would skip that pipe. Every time my PCV has clogged that metal pipe is never at fault. You can run a rag on a wire down into the pipe to check for obstruction.

The OP has a suction jet check valve assembly in his pic which is a different area. 2 years ago I installed a generic assembly on amazon for $20 and though it needed modification it's worked fine. I don't know that that is their problem though. Is there a good method to find a leak in this specific PCV system, maybe they should try that instead?

26,111 Posts
I don't think that kit will fit a 2004 Passat 1.8T AWM because I have a 2003 1.8T AWM and the PCV valve is different. Also that metal pipe on the back of the engine is a PITA to replace. I would skip that pipe. Every time my PCV has clogged that metal pipe is never at fault. You can run a rag on a wire down into the pipe to check for obstruction.

The OP has a suction jet check valve assembly in his pic which is a different area. 2 years ago I installed a generic assembly on amazon for $20 and though it needed modification it's worked fine. I don't know that that is their problem though. Is there a good method to find a leak in this specific PCV system, maybe they should try that instead?
Yes, the bleeder valve is different. It was more of an example. BUT, look at the 034 kit; it replaces it all. Instead of the newer style bleeder valve, it is the older style without the side port and they provide a vacuum cap for the valve cover. I have the latter kit and it was a piece of cake to replace. Even the metal tube, if you take your time and have the right sized tools.

BTW, I don't know how everyone is having PCV clogging issues more than once in the lifetime of their 1.8T. Personally, I didn't replace mine until about 140k and it wasn't clogged up at all. oily, yes, but not clogged or restricted. I'm at 179k now. Had it since 19k. Maybe it's the oil brand.

We're on two related topics in this thread. I was referring to the PCV system specifically. I took it that the OP knew the SJP was leaking and will be replacing it. There was extra advice about the oil leaks, which led to recommending gaskets, but before gaskets, you need to service the PCV.

26,111 Posts
I have a 2004 GLS 1.8t Passat. It’s been having some issues recently with engine misfire and i replace valve cover gasket and now i have this part (part number 058133784AF) It’s been coming loose and currently it’s zip tied together while the part is coming in this weekend. I checked it and it was hissing like air is escaping while it is running. How long do you think i can run on it? Would it be fine i just leave it till about friday to put the part on or what ?
I moved this post to this thread. Try not to run it or drive it. If you must, at least try to cover the leaking area with epoxy or something in the meantime.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

This us the part i need replaced
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive exterior Gas

· Registered
2004 VW Passat 4motion, 5sp 1.8t; ko4, green injectors, VR6 MAF housing, Techtonics exhaust
52 Posts
...BTW, I don't know how everyone is having PCV clogging issues more than once in the lifetime of their 1.8T. Personally, I didn't replace mine until about 140k and it wasn't clogged up at all. oily, yes, but not clogged or restricted. I'm at 179k now. Had it since 19k. Maybe it's the oil brand...
I replace mine at nearly 200k and it was oily, but not clogged. I wonder if maybe the cars with clogs were using conventional motor oil earlier in their lives?

26,111 Posts
This is the part i need replaced View attachment 107524
Oh, that's part of the brake booster tubing. Not part of the SJP assembly.

Look for a part number. Best I can tell, it's this:
3B0 611 931 S for auto transmission ("T" goes to an electric vacuum pump behind the power steering pump reservoir)
Font Drawing Auto part Line art Symbol

OR
4B0611931N for manual trans.

Reptile Coil spring Auto part Font Coil

Pretty pricey assembly for the auto trans one. Can you repair it?

Reactions: AndreasPassat
1 - 18 of 18 Posts