Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello forum, I am about to attempt to replace the clutch in my Passat within the next few months and could use some advice on what kit to purchase, where to find good DIY videos/walk-throughs, and anything else that I need to look out for. This is for a 1.8T AWM. I'm looking to spend around $400 maximum. It's got over 120k miles and the clutch has been clunky and noisy for about the last 30k. Based on the symptoms, the throw-out bearing seems to be the most important part to replace but I'd like to just get a complete kit with flywheel and hopefully be good for another 100k. I'm also wondering what else should be inspected or replaced for preventative maintenance while I'm working on the clutch.

I'm planning on trying to make a how-to (probably with plenty of how-not-to advice) video of my adventure to share here. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
7,623 Posts
I think this is probably about the best one stop shop selection around. They've got everything you need to do complete clutch service.
Here's everything for your car, 1.8 AWM 5 speed manual.
Volkswagen Passat Clutch and Flywheel Parts | FCP Euro

Yes you can shop around on endless sites and save a buck here and there however, FCP has a lifetime warranty and they ship this stuff for free. (y) ...and they have everything in stock right now.
It's a toss up between Sachs and Luk. Most flywheels and clutches say Luk right on them right from the factory.

I would highly recommend doing the whole shebang. Flywheel, clutch, throw-out (release) bearing and the cup with the needle bearing that goes into the end of the crankshaft.
If it were me, I'd also replace the clutch slave cylinder.
Don't even think about trying to re-use the flywheel. It's got moving parts and a very real possibility that the spring(s) inside the flywheel are broken. When a dual mass flywheel doesn't function properly it really takes away from the butter smooth shiftability.

Something else you might want to consider, while you're in there, check them transmission mounts. Again that would be an opportune time to replace as everything is out of the way and wide open.

Make sure you replace the flywheel to crankshaft bolts. They are one time use.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello and thanks for the replies. I am starting to put together a list of needed parts. I am using the Haynes 96023 (Passat 98-2005) manual for reference. I still have some questions in bold below. If anyone knows the answers to them, please reply.
  • Clutch Kit
  • Flywheel
  • 2x transmission mounts
  • Clutch Slave/release cylinder
  • Flywheel bolts (how many?)
  • Wire to support certain components when they are removed (driveaxles, exhaust, etc)
I have a jack that I can use to support the engine. I'll also be renting:
  • Transmission jack
  • Extra bottle jack
The manual says to remove drive-axles. It looks like there are some single-use parts when re-installing those:
  • 2x Inner CV Joint->to->transaxle gaskets
  • 2x driveaxle->to->hub bolt
The manual also says to remove catalytic converter and exhaust front-pipe and it says there are single-use gaskets there:
  • Catalytic converter mounting flange gaskets (how many?)
The manual mentions using a few different types of greases when installing new parts:
  • Copper grease (release bearing)
  • Moly-Based Grease (Release bearing, release lever, input shaft)
  • Lithium Grease (for release cylinder bore->to->transaxle)
The manual also mentions something about "high-melting-point grease" to the splines of the transaxle input shaft when reinstalling. The copper grease that I am looking at says it has a temperature range of -30 to 1800F. Should that be sufficient?

Also, what is the "cup with the needle bearing" part? Is it sold separately?

Thanks!

·
Registered
28,888 Posts
You need 8 flywheel bolts. You also need 6 new pressure plate bolts. The needle bearing is fit into the flywheel on a V6, so just make sure the kit includes one.
I swear you could remove a manual trans without dropping the cats, but my memory is sketchy these days. You will need to lower the rear of the subframe and disconnect the exhaust after the 2nd cats.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reply PZ. I am guessing that removing the catalytic converter might give me better access to the passenger side drive axle. I think the gaskets that the manual is referring to are:
  • 1H0253115 (Front pipe gasket)
  • 8D0253115 (Turbocharger gasket)
The part # for the driveaxle-to-hub bolt is:
  • 4B0407643A
I'm going to try to avoid having to remove it, but I ordered the gaskets just in case.

I found and purchased the flywheel bolts. I couldn't find any site that mentioned pressure plate bolts for this specific model. Is there a part number that you know of for those bolts?

·
Registered
28,888 Posts
The axle can easily be removed from below without touching the cat/turbo bolts.
For the PP bolts, I show N 014 739 2.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for that! That bolt is not described as a clutch pressure plate bolt on the VW parts site, so I would have never found that. I found it at ECStuning.com for a good price.

·
Registered
7,623 Posts
Thanks for that! That bolt is not described as a clutch pressure plate bolt on the VW parts site, so I would have never found that. I found it at ECStuning.com for a good price.
VAG has strange names for some of its parts.

Reactions: VAGguy
1 - 9 of 9 Posts