Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, im new to this forum, and new to VW. As a owner of 2 highly modified hondas (accord, prelude) and also a owner of a 04 Maxima(i totaled it last week :sad: ) anyways. I have always had a lust for turbo, so i went with a 04 passat 1.8t as soon as the insurance company cut me a check for the maxima...

I love the car. and i have a few questions...

so if anyone on here could help that would be great. i have been told the Vw has the best fan base, and devoted VDub drivers. lol
mabye my questions could help out fellow b5.5 owners...

question:

1. what type of bulbs are in the headlights... i allready replaced the lowbeam h7, and high beam h7... but there is still this little bulb with that dull white color still there, what the hell type bulb is that and do you guys think it better to just remove it or replace it. (i have piaa hyper white bulbs in the headlights now, and that stupid little bulb throws the whole "hyper white" concept off..
2. Is there any difference between the 2001.5 and the 2004 passat? Because i see alot of older B5.5's with 19" and 18" and when i look at my car i see this Shock Armor like suspension brace or sumthing right above the wheels... It has stock 15" so i was worried if i tried to drop 18" on it wouldnt it hit? i am a bit confused about this. any help?
3. What performance mods are the best bang for your buck to get for the B5.5 Passat.. intake, DV, BOV???, boost controller?,Ecu Chip, tipronic chip????
4. IF i didn't get exhaust , am i sacraficing alot of power, would it make gettin a chip pointless?? i kinda didnt want to put on a loud exaust...
5. What ECu CHIPS are the best? GIAC.....? I didnt want to send my ecu in .. is there any chips out there that you can just buy and install?

Well thats it- alot of questions.. i would really appreciate your guys help!!!!

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Here is my attempt to answer your questions:

1. That little light bulb is your city light. It is a W5W size bulb. I replaced mine with a blue led bulb from 42 draft designs, and it goes well with my sylvania silverstars.

2. There are only small cosmetic differences between the 2001.5-2003 and 2004 Passats. You can put any size wheel you want, but you will be forced to put a lower profile tire with each size upgrade. There are plenty of members running 18X7.5 and 18X8 inch wheels with 225/50/18s and they have no rubbing problems. I would suggest you lower your car at the same time in order to avoid the "4X4" look.

3. I think the best bang for your buck performance wise is the suspension. The stock suspension expresses too much body roll.

4. There are plenty of exhaust reviews on here, just do a search. From what I have been reading, the Neuspeed is not loud and does show gains with a chip. You will not be losing power if you chip your car and keep the stock exhaust.

5. Like I stated in number 4, best thing is to do a search. Each chip has its benefits, so write down what you want in a chip and then match it up.

I hope this helps and Welcome to Clubb5!
Take care,
Lelo

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
The best mod you could do is a suspension mod. Get springs, shocks, or even coil-overs if you have the money. Multiple people recommend Koni Varient 1 for coilovers, Nuespeed Softsport for springs, and any kind of Bilstein for shocks. Make sure you get height-adjustable shocks.

After you get new rims (18's would be your best bet), make sure you lower it to avoid it looking like an SUV. And add a rear anti-sway bar. You'll definately notice a LARGE increase in handling perfromance from lower-profile wheels, new suspension, an anti-sway bar, and new rims.

Get a GIAC Tip-Chip afterwards, and get a VAG-COM to switch your tranny to Sport Mode.

Glad you switched from Japanese ricers to the real cars! Welcome to the family.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
YA KNOW WHAT- THANKS ALOT... I AM VERY SURPRISED I GOT SUCH A WARM RESPONSE, ( ON MY OTHER FORUMS WWW.V6PERFORMANCE.ET AND MAXIMA.ORG ) THEY SUCKS AND WERENT OF ANY HELP AT ALL.. COMPLETE OPOSITE OF YOU GUYS.. THANKS SO MUCH. I AM HAPPY I PICKED A VW FOR MY NEW CAR...

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So intake? boost controller? no comment on that stuff? ohh yeh and. i want a BOV real bad, but its not a good mod for a passat i have been hearing. any info about a DV would help ....??????? what should i do.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Elee said:
So intake? boost controller? no comment on that stuff? ohh yeh and. i want a BOV real bad, but its not a good mod for a passat i have been hearing. any info about a DV would help ....??????? what should i do.
Dont waste money on intake just get a drop in filter.
Suspension can be had in the Group buy forum great price for Neuspeed Sport springs & Neuspeed Bilsteins.
BOV,DV valve same thing you could upgrade at some time.
Chip check into the APR Direct Port Program and a Tip chip!
http://www.goapr.com/VW/index.html#
Here is a link for info on the DV valve
http://dv.mistertam.com/
Here is link for Springs
http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=65564
Here is link for Shock/dampers

http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=69000
you just missed the one on the DV valve
No problem with running 18"s :wink:
Here is a link for the Euroswitch
http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=45941
Also get rid of the DRL so you dont kill your new bulbs

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:lol: ok so thanks for the info......

I HAVE A QUESTION???

how do you turn the seat belt PING PING sound off??
also ... the DRL's can be killed and i think i know how, so still no one has been clear about the BOV or DV thing, i want the BOV sound bad!!! but i hear its a bad idea on a b5.5

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
I<3myW8 said:
The best mod you could do is a suspension mod. Get springs, shocks, or even coil-overs if you have the money. Multiple people recommend Koni Varient 1 for coilovers, Nuespeed Softsport for springs, and any kind of Bilstein for shocks. Make sure you get height-adjustable shocks.

After you get new rims (18's would be your best bet), make sure you lower it to avoid it looking like an SUV. And add a rear anti-sway bar. You'll definately notice a LARGE increase in handling perfromance from lower-profile wheels, new suspension, an anti-sway bar, and new rims.

Get a GIAC Tip-Chip afterwards, and get a VAG-COM to switch your tranny to Sport Mode.

Glad you switched from Japanese ricers to the real cars! Welcome to the family.
is it ok to put sport mode on with the tip chip?

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
To disable DRLs:

Open driver side door, you should see the fusebox panel, on the side of the dashboard, normally closed between the door. There is a small hole u can stick ur finger into and start to pry it out. Give it a good tug, you won't break it trust me, it requires some force. Now look behind the fuses, you should see relay's with numbers on them. Yank out relay # 173 (its a black cube with 173 written on it in white). It comes out fairly easily, like a plug in a socket. Store it somewhere nice, and voila, disabled DRLs!

-Wapptor

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thank you... I am workign on my car with a few things now. ordered alto of sh*t i will have pics.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I Want to THANK everyone who has helped me out...

Its been over 500 posts and 9 months of reading and post searching and ordering parts and group buys.. etc... and still going...

i came to this site not knowing anything, now im close to a pro. lol yeaahh...

here is my current mod list which EVERYTHING I have on my car comes form a direct influence from this site and all of you!!!

2004 Volkswagen Passat 1.8T Auto/Tip, Black Magic...

INTERIOR-

Monsoon Stereo
Disabled DRL's
ColumnPod W-VDO Boost Gauge(25psi)
OEM EuroSwitch
Momo Race leather shift knob
SPP Tip Adaptor
VW OEM Phaeton Pedals
Blacklight LED dome converion
Cobra Radar Detector

EXTERIOR-

Hoffelle Metal Blk Painted Grille
InPro S4 Chrome mirrors
InPro DoorHandles
Smoked Blinkers
Clear Corner Lens
Aluminum Shorty Antenna
HyperWhite Piaa HighBeams,LowBeams
HyperWhite Piaa Fog Light Bulbs
HyperWhite Piaa LED City Lights
Philps SilverStar Chrome Blinkers
Porsche Turbo Emblem
20V Emblem ,1.8T(red) Emblem, German Flag
European Plate (B5VW1.8T)

ENGINE(1.8L Turbo 20V)

Synthetic Oil
Evo Motorsports Intake
Evo Billet DV
Techtonics Downpipe
Techtonics Exaust w-Borla Muffler
GIAC Ecu Upgrade (93 octane program)
GIAC Flash Software

SUSPENSION,WHEELS-

18x8" FLIK Racing Wheels- Silver, Polished Lip
225-40-ZR18 Visa Tires
Koni Adjustable Sport Shocks
Vogtland Sport Springs
:lol:

...I am getting digital camera so i can take some new pics... I need too.

THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR HELP....

And MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

GO CLUB :b5: !!!!!!!!!!!1 :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
8 Participants
jikozi
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing