Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2004 jetta 1.8t. No start sporadically
Bought this car used with 130k miles. Was running okay, but then it started acting up. The car would not start by itself, and it needed a jump start. Then let it warm up drove it to pep boys they tested battery and charged it said it is a good battery. The problems when away for some time. Now I got my wheel bearing replaced last week...shortly after that the car is back to not starting up. The battery is reading 12.3 volts when nothing is on. Then when I attempt to start volts drop to 12 and under. Brought the battery to autozone to get charged and tested; I only did that because the man said the battery needs a full charge to be able to properly diagnose any underlying issues..(alternator, short, or maybe electronic drainage) can anyone shed some insight on these issues here???

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alternator and battery are good, and tested at autozone. Now I'm experiencing a slow voltage drop in my battery. At about .01 every 25 seconds or so and I'm not sure what could be causing this. Any pointer could be helpful not trying to have this reoccuring in the future.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Ensure battery terminals are clean and tight. check ground connection battery to body. Also check ground connection engine/transmission to body.
Does it crank properly and not start ?
Or does it not crank properly ?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It just clicks a couple time. I'm thinking it doesn't crank though. I followed the ground from battery to engine block it looked okay. But there is another bolt there that has no wire on it for ground or maybe for chassis I'm not sure??? Its been turning on since Sunday with no issues I can notice but I've been leaving the door unlocked so the security system doesn't activate on some nights in not sure if that has something to do with it.

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
I'm not sure how the anti-theft works. Does it cut power to the starter so it will not even crank ? Of does it cut power to say the fuel pump so it will crank but not start ?

Not knowing that, I'd say if it's a no crank situation, try tapping the starter when someone else it holding the key in the "crank/start" position. Barring an anti-theft issue, it sounds like a good old dead spot in the starter windings..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts