Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a 2004 1.8t wagon with 120k on it
Seems that recently the car is vibrating more and more at a stop, most noticeable at a red light. Car in drive and foot on brake. Dont notice it when driving. Any thoughts?

Timing belt done about 20k miles ago

· PassatWorld Elder
27,992 Posts
Did you clean and adapt the throttle body and check the vacuum hoses, check valves and mounts yet? Any of them could cause this problem as could the cheap axles.

· Registered
2004 GLS 1.8T
12,195 Posts
Got a 2004 1.8t wagon with 120k on it
Seems that recently the car is vibrating more and more at a stop, most noticeable at a red light. Car in drive and foot on brake. Dont notice it when driving. Any thoughts?

Timing belt done about 20k miles ago
OK. In my experience, most 4-cyl automatic transmission cars do this they as they get older - the Passat is known for it; it's a common problem. Why is a little controversial. The most common diagnosis is bad motor mounts, followed by cheap axles, which makes little sense to me.

Now, IMHO, what we have is a complex situation, at least on my car it was. If the engine isn't running up to snuff, it tends to bog down and vibrate, as the drag of the transmission tries to stall it. So, anything you do for better running and less drag helps.

When I got my 2000, it had almost 180,000 miles and vibrated badly when stopped in drive. As I went through the car, changing air filter, spark plugs, cleaning the throttle body, cleaning the PCV system - each made a small improvement. Changing the ATF and filter made the biggest difference. Cumulatively, it now (at 236,000 miles) idles almost as smoothly as my 2004 (at 50,000 miles). Interestingly, one thing that didn't make a difference was replacing the motor mounts, which were in pretty bad shape.

For what it's worth.

· PassatWorld Elder
27,992 Posts
Haven't done anything yet, didn't know if the fact that it completely goes away when going into neutral pointed to something specefic
Not really. It could be any one of those or a combination. To a certain extent, all of the engines vibrate in gear. Just start with the cheap stuff and work your way down the list.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.