Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
I don't think you're too lean. Your just ok.

You don't have a turbo aplication car so the air/fuel ration wont change due to a forced induction.

You're fine!
Nice numbers BTW!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Didn't they come with 270hp out of the box? I know that's 224 at the wheels, but that seems low. What am I missing?
the v6 has 190-200 in the engine, it doesn't put those numbers down at the wheels. Its kinda misleading when a car comes out and they say its got 500 hp. But that's before the drive train gets to it first.

·
Registered
9,106 Posts
Drivetrain losses are about 15% for FWD, 17% for RWD. I don't know, but I assume it's a tad bit higher for AWD, so that result is very much in line (17%).

·
is a sweetheart
3,056 Posts
A good rule of thumb which I was given for drivetrain loss is:
15-18% for a manual fwd
18 - 22% for an automatic fwd
22 - 25% for auto w/ all wheel drive

So, taking the OP's numbers of 224 whp and correcting by 25% gives 298.7 hp at the crank. This seems to be in line with what others have achieved using a good exhaust, intake and tuning (a little more than 10% over stock). Sounds like a fun car. :thumbup:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Want to get mine on a dyno, but with 150,000 miles I think many of the horses will have died along the way......if mine puts out figs like yours I'd be more than happy:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
I'd still like to see somebody run the GIAC "Race" file on 100 octane.
I've got the file, but 100 octane is scarce down here (was easy to find in MN - one of the few benefits of snowmobile country), and I really don't have the money these days.

·
Registered
170 Posts
We must be lucky in the UK because most filling stations have 99 Octane fuel and it's only 7p (about 10c) more per litre than the standard 95 rated stuff. There are also some stations with 102 octane race fuel:thumbup:

·
The Rubberband Man
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I'd still like to see somebody run the GIAC "Race" file on 100 octane.
I've got the file, but 100 octane is scarce down here (was easy to find in MN - one of the few benefits of snowmobile country), and I really don't have the money these days.
13 gallons 92 octane + 7 gallons toluene or xylene = 100 octane. --> (13(92) + 7(115)) / 20 = 100.05 octane

Your car will run like a CHAMP. :thumbup:

·
The Rubberband Man
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Want to get mine on a dyno, but with 150,000 miles I think many of the horses will have died along the way......if mine puts out figs like yours I'd be more than happy:thumbup:
Well your new intake manifold adds at LEAST 25 hp! :thumbup:

·
The Rubberband Man
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
We must be lucky in the UK because most filling stations have 99 Octane fuel and it's only 7p (about 10c) more per litre than the standard 95 rated stuff. There are also some stations with 102 octane race fuel:thumbup:
Is this RON?

21 - 33 of 33 Posts