Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I'm new to the VW world. So the other day at work I opened my rear door shut it and my door adjar light stayed on I lost control to all my windows, mirrors, steering wheel controls and sunroof. Threw some research I found it could be a cut wire. So I took the boot off between the door and pillar and a wire was cut so I spliced it back together and nothing still works. I check Every Single fuse and they are all good. Could it be one of the relays under the steering wheel? I've also pulled up my carpet and checked my comfort control module as well and everything seems in order there too. Any info would be appreciated the car still runs and drives fine.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Can you scan the car for codes using the OBDII port? One possibility is the ABS electronics. They can flood the CAN bus with random garbage when they fail and all the functions you listed run on the CAN bus as well. You could try un-plugging the ABS electrical connector to see if it helps. Sort of a shot in the dark but it would take 2 minutes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can you scan the car for codes using the OBDII port? One possibility is the ABS electronics. They can flood the CAN bus with random garbage when they fail and all the functions you listed run on the CAN bus as well. You could try un-plugging the ABS electrical connector to see if it helps. Sort of a shot in the dark but it would take 2 minutes.
There are no codes but seeing ass my windows were working right before I opened and closed the back door and cut the door wire I'm assuming all my issues are related to the cut wire in the door and it probably grounded out during the process but no fuses are blow so I'm assuming a relay but relays are expensive so I can't replace all of them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've also disconnected the battery for a little while as well. No change

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
With all those faults, there would definitely be fault codes.
Scan with VCDS or similar VAG scanner and post the codes.
Nope no codes. But I did figure it out apparently after the wire in the door broke it shorted something In the window motor out which in turn killed power to just about everything inside the car. So threw process of elimination I ended up unhooking the rear window motor and gained function of everything back. Becides the rear window of course.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When the window is plugged in it kills communication to the ccm anyways so when scanned it doesn't communicate but when the window is unplugged everything is fine. So like I said it's in the window motor. But it doesn't bother me enough to replace it.

·
Registered
7,623 Posts
👍😂 I'm glad your not gonna argue with me over my own car.. but thanks for your input and being super concerned about non existent codes!
If I could mention this...
Did you scan with a VAG compatible scanning software?
Generic software will not read all codes stored in the various modules on the Passat. It must be VCDS or some other VAG compliant software.
VCDS, if used will almost absolutely detect what the issue is. It will check the CCM for codes and or communication errors and it will also detect fault(s) in the window motor.
If a full scan is done, it'll check pretty much every single device inside the car and will also detect any communication faults system wide.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If I could mention this...
Did you scan with a VAG compatible scanning software?
Generic software will not read all codes stored in the various modules on the Passat. It must be VCDS or some other VAG compliant software.
VCDS, if used will almost absolutely detect what the issue is. It will check the CCM for codes and or communication errors and it will also detect fault(s) in the window motor.
I did take and have it hooked up but it wasnt communicating with the CCM when hooked up. That's why I took the car home and figured out in was something shorting out in the window motor and I haven't scanned it since. The car has 225k on the motor she's not pretty so being down one window is okay in my book.

·
Moderator/Administrator
26,004 Posts
Ok, so there is a difference between no communication and no codes. If you can’t communicate with the ccm, then you don’t know if there are codes stored. Once you can connect, then try pulling any codes. Unless you said you did that and I missed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,576 Posts
I wonder if more than one conductor was broken. Wiring failures at door jambs are fairly common (been there ... done that with my 1996 A4) because of all the flexing. You could have another wire with intact insulation but a break in the internal conductor itself.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I wonder if more than one conductor was broken. Wiring failures at door jambs are fairly common (been there ... done that with my 1996 A4) because of all the flexing. You could have another wire with intact insulation but a break in the internal conductor itself.
I went threw all the wires in every door only one was broken. But like I said I'm okay being down one window since I got full function of everything else. It's a 2003 with 222k on it. Just a good gas mileage work car at this point.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts