Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Awhile back I had posted that my 2003 B5.5 Variant did not have vent lights. I scheduled service to take care of the issue. They confirmed that all hardware was missing and ordered the parts needed. When I brought the car in for the first oil change, I also requested that install. Unfortunately, the parts department ordered the wrong part number.

After waiting for a couple of weeks, the new parts arrived. I took my Variant in on Monday. My service contact is a VW enthusiast and takes care of every need I have. He even gave me a ride to my office in his GTI VR6 w/ GIAC chip, Porche Cup rims, Eurosport exhaust, EVO intake... They are extremely respectful of my mods (the car is chipped).

During the install, the tech realized that the wiring harness was missing! They contacted the regional VW rep and he confirmed that ALL 2003 Passats are to have vent lights. When they contacted the parts warehouse, they were told that part does not exist in an aftermarket form and would need to be fabricated. Thus, they supplied all the needed diagrams and an electrical tech is building a wiring harness for me.

My tech and service contact are making the regional VW rep aware of this issue. If you don't have vent lights, you're supposed to. Take your car into the dealership and make them aware of this issue. The VW rep's name is Jeff Moore I believe that stated the 2003's are to have vent lights. I know it's only a convenience, but I was used to 'em in my 2000 B5, and I want 'em in my 2003.

I hope this info helps. Also, I want to give a major compliment to Dave Ski with Casey Imports in Newport News, VA. He procured a rental car for me and I've been in a 2003 Chevy Silverado pick-up since Monday. I know it's not a VW, but it's way better than a Dodge Neon or Chevy Cavalier.

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
jarovw said:
Awhile back I had posted that my 2003 B5.5 Variant did not have vent lights. I scheduled service to take care of the issue. They confirmed that all hardware was missing and ordered the parts needed. When I brought the car in for the first oil change, I also requested that install. Unfortunately, the parts department ordered the wrong part number.

After waiting for a couple of weeks, the new parts arrived. I took my Variant in on Monday. My service contact is a VW enthusiast and takes care of every need I have. He even gave me a ride to my office in his GTI VR6 w/ GIAC chip, Porche Cup rims, Eurosport exhaust, EVO intake... They are extremely respectful of my mods (the car is chipped).

During the install, the tech realized that the wiring harness was missing! They contacted the regional VW rep and he confirmed that ALL 2003 Passats are to have vent lights. When they contacted the parts warehouse, they were told that part does not exist in an aftermarket form and would need to be fabricated. Thus, they supplied all the needed diagrams and an electrical tech is building a wiring harness for me.

My tech and service contact are making the regional VW rep aware of this issue. If you don't have vent lights, you're supposed to. Take your car into the dealership and make them aware of this issue. The VW rep's name is Jeff Moore I believe that stated the 2003's are to have vent lights. I know it's only a convenience, but I was used to 'em in my 2000 B5, and I want 'em in my 2003.

I hope this info helps. Also, I want to give a major compliment to Dave Ski with Casey Imports in Newport News, VA. He procured a rental car for me and I've been in a 2003 Chevy Silverado pick-up since Monday. I know it's not a VW, but it's way better than a Dodge Neon or Chevy Cavalier.
That's interesting to know, I noticed my 2003 GLS didn't have vent lights but I was thinking that only GLX's had vent lights so I didn't worry too much about it. I'll have to go see what they can do about that.

Sullie

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Just out of curiousity... what are these Vent lights? where are they located at in the car? I'm assuming either I don't have them in my 2003 Variant OR I just call them something else ;)

·
Registered
441 Posts
Building a wiring harness for vent lights?

No wonder VW can't find the time and money to replace coil packs quickly enough. VW has its crack technical resources devoted to building wiring harnesses from scratch so drivers can have vents have lights in them!

I somehow find this a little bizarre.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just an FYI. The technician fabricating the wiring harness is not a VW employee. He works for the service department at my dealership. But, I'll ask him to look into the coilpack issue. Just kidding.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Glad everything worked out jarovw. I heard that removing the vent lights was a running change for 2003 models, which would explain why you didn't have any of the wiring.

Hany

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
This reminds me of a situation at the Audi dealership I worked at. When the new A4 Cabrio had just come out we got a truck load of them. I was talking to a tech while he was doing the PDI on the cars and he noticed on of the models for some reason the switch to open the electronic roof didnt work. After Vaging the car and investigating a little he pulled out the switch and noticed the cswitch had the nothing connected to it. On top of that there was no wire harness anywhere back there to connect it to the roof mechanism. Hence the power roof didint work because there were also no motors to power it!!!!!!!!!! And the cars VIN showed the electric roof as a factory option.. Are they eating *&^%$# at the factory? Mus have been a Monday or Friday car. :wink:

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
nananana4k said:
hat damn. can you believe something like the vent lights didnt make it out the factory?

sweet find.
This is really wierd cause you got people like vwguild on vortex saying that vent lights are out on GLS and GL model passats and it's a running change. And then you have vw reps saying the cars should have the vent lights. It seems a bunch of people don't have them with GLS cars, so that would suggest vwguild is right and the rep is not aware of the change. Stuff like this scares me.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I'm glad my 03 has vent lights because the info in this thread is very confusing. :???:

Hers: 2002 GLS Variant 1.8T, Tiptronic, Fresco Green, Black Leather, Luxury Package, Monsoon
(Built August, 2001 - Emden, Germany)
Mine: 2003 GLS Sedan 1.8T, Tiptronic, Silverstone Gray, Black Leather, Monsoon, ESP
(Built October, 2002 - Mosel, Germany)

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
not_too_shabby said:
nananana4k said:
hat damn. can you believe something like the vent lights didnt make it out the factory?

sweet find.
This is really wierd cause you got people like vwguild on vortex saying that vent lights are out on GLS and GL model passats and it's a running change. And then you have vw reps saying the cars should have the vent lights. It seems a bunch of people don't have them with GLS cars, so that would suggest vwguild is right and the rep is not aware of the change. Stuff like this scares me.
I guess they had to get the money to pay for those coil packs from some where! ;)

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
Vent light omission on 2003s = VW making a running change to cut costs hoping no one will notice. :roll: Having the local dealer fabricate parts omitted by the factory really is above and beyond the call of duty.

FWIW, they did the same thing to A2s Golfs/Jettas starting in 1988.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Electron Man said:
FWIW, they did the same thing to A2s Golfs/Jettas starting in 1988.
But they apparently made a comeback as my wife's 2002 Jetta GLS sure has them! Now, if the 2003s still have it is a different question.....

·
Registered
244 Posts
Regardless of how this all turns out, as a first-time VW owner, the apparent lack of communication between manufacturer, VWoA, and dealers illustrated by this issue is not very heartening. FWIW, my 2003 GLS has no vent lights -- all things being equal I guess I'd rather have them, but even if my dealer offered to "fix" them, I'd be worried they might do more harm than good, mucking around with the wires in a car with a known tendency toward electrical problems.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, I know many of you may think this vent light issue is an anal one. However, after owning two other VW's I want everything that I'm paying for. For a dealership or VW rep to state: "Oh, it's a running change!" is just the poorest excuse.

We've all been told conflicting information and there was a long thread before on this topic with owners of 2003's having vent lights with VIN numbers not much different. I also have the paperwork from my dealership that clearly states, "VW rep, Jeff Morris, states vent lights are standard equipment."

Long story short - They're operational now and I can move onto installing my rims, suspension, dash kit...Let the mods begin.

·
Registered
244 Posts
jarovw said:
I also have the paperwork from my dealership that clearly states, "VW rep, Jeff Morris, states vent lights are standard equipment."
Is it Jeff Moore or Morris? Any chance you could scan & post the paperwork?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It's Jeff Morris. Once I get my scanner working, I'll post the paperwork. I'm having some XP compatibility issues.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts