Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brief history of car.

2003 V6 GLX FWD Tip. Black on black color scheme. (wife's car)

I purchased the car late 2014 for $1400. The guy selling the car had it listed for $2400 (I think). While I was waiting for it to warm up it made a funny sound and quit running.
Tried starting it, the engine was locked. Oil and coolant were completely mixed in both the crankcase and coolant system.
It's kind of a sad story actually, the guy had come to the U.S. having next to nothing and bought it for his wife as her first nice car. Problems ensued with the car for years and he was reliant on a garage for all the fixes. Whatever garage or garages he took it to didn't know anything about Passat's. He spent thousands and thousands on fixes but no one could get it running right. The guy tried in vain to save the car for his wife but just couldn't make it happen. Completely spent emotionally and through total frustration the car went up for sale.
That's were I come along.
The car was an absolute mess mechanically but the body was one of the straightest I had seen up until that time. Interior was / still is in excellent condition.
In 2014 the engine was rebuilt, all new suspension front and back, all new brakes (except calipers) and new Raxle axles. All of that was well documented here. All of the pictures have since gone due to Imgur and whatever they did to their hosting.

Maybe some day I can repost all the pictures in the original post as this site now host pictures.

Late summer 2017 I left my wife in Phoenix with her car. (for those that know me that's what I was accused of around here anyways :p)
Since then, a failed oil pressure switch. Replacement electric a/c fan (behind radiator) and a leaking heater core which was replaced 2 years ago.
W8 headlight swap 2 years ago.

Reactions: VAGguy

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
edited for spelling

Current issues with car.
One of the O2 sensors is bad triggering a CEL.
The RECIRC flap for the Climatronic doesn't engage / move.
Multi function display has been baked to death from the desert sun. One day that'll get sent to Clusters by Litke.
The passengers side headlight is only about half brightness. The lenses on the W8 headlights are about toast. They've been buffed before, so they are about ready for the scrap heap.
I do have another set of W8 headlights that are in very decent shape that I want to install.
Drivers side window regulator is broke. New one is on the way this week.

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got an update from FCP Euro, part to be delivered today it says.
Also, yesterday I was cleaning the windows as they are so dirty I can't even see in or out of the car, I noticed all along the top edge of the windshield the glass is delaminating from the heat. :oops:
Gonna need a new one installed before to long.

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
These are the W8 headlights I picked from @selurffoeg last year. I'll be swapping these in place of the crusty yellow ones I got now.
He also gave me a Home Link sun visor as a freebee. Just so happens I can use this also as the original one is coming apart from the extreme heat down here.
Wife's gone this weekend, it'll give me something to do during my free time.

Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Automotive parking light Hood Bumper

Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Grille Automotive lighting Hood

White Light Hood Grey Automotive design

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
FCP order just got dropped off.

This is what I ordered.
Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Hood Automotive exterior

This is what I got. :mad:
Packing materials Plastic bag Rectangle Bumper Plastic wrap

• Angry
Reactions: PZ

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm pissed but I'm so desperate to get the window fixed I'll just deal with it.
Got a call into FCP to find out why the picture shows the "whole" regulator assembly with inner door panel when only the window guides and cable is what gets sold and delivered.
I got 2 of these by the way. The other one is for the one of the W8's with same broken part on same door.

·
Registered
1 Posts
These are the W8 headlights I picked from @selurffoeg last year. I'll be swapping these in place of the crusty yellow ones I got now.
He also gave me a Home Link sun visor as a freebee. Just so happens I can use this also as the original one is coming apart from the extreme heat down here.
Wife's gone this weekend, it'll give me something to do during my free time.

View attachment 107051

View attachment 107052
View attachment 107054
I want that Visor lol! I have an 02 GLS Wagon 2.8 AWD. Grabbed it for 2 K

·
Registered
293 Posts
FCP order just got dropped off.

This is what I ordered.
View attachment 107057

This is what I got. :mad:
View attachment 107056
For what it is worth, I installed a VDO aftermarket whole assembly window regulator from Rock Auto. First impression.. I was not impressed with the sheetmetal stamp quality. Just looked cheap.
Now 2 years down the road it's making awful noises. Should of looked for an OE Brose instead or rebuild one.

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For what it is worth, I installed a VDO aftermarket whole assembly window regulator from Rock Auto. First impression.. I was not impressed with the sheetmetal stamp quality. Just looked cheap.
Now 2 years down the road it's making awful noises. Should of looked for an OE Brose instead or rebuild one.
Here you on that! The Uro brand is the same way. The thickness of metal is like half of what the Genuine parts are.
That's why I'm bent on finding the Genuine ones. That's part of the safety design in the door. Should the horribly unthinkable happened and I get t-boned, I want that sheet metal to keep the front bumper on the other vehicle from getting inside mine.

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got the headlights installed before the life threatening storm hit here in the desert.
They weren't kidding. There are some roads that are no longer in my area. :oops:
But that's another topic of discussion.

• Wow
Reactions: PZ

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh forgot to mention. The secondary hood release pull handle snapped off. Ugh, fix one thing buy another.
That was the first one I've ever broke. I barely touched it and basically just flew off the car in multiple pieces.
Let's see if I can post up some pictures.
I only have internet at work. They let us use the Internet again. Yay.
Only a cell with very spotty service all other times.

·
Registered
293 Posts
....That's part of the safety design in the door. Should the horribly unthinkable happened and I get t-boned, I want that sheet metal to keep the front bumper on the other vehicle from getting inside mine.
Yeah agree, but I ended up using it. Coincidently the reason why I replaced the assembly is because the car was T-Boned and original was tweaked. The replacement used door didn't come with one, so I opted to buy a VDO assembly as they make so many OE factory parts. I never had an issue with aftermarket VDO. It was always the same as a factory part up until I bought the regulator. Still I bought other VDO parts and it was OE stuff. So who knows. There is always a possibility of it being counterfeit.

·
Registered
29,152 Posts
The donor car had a really cheap driver's side window regulator. The metal broke away from the securing bolts to the door over time. Rattled like crazy. The back door was worse; no regulator at all, just the window tied off by a metal strip to the side impact bar.

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got the new window regulator tracks / guides in today. Meh, it'll do for now I guess. The window doesn't go down ALL the way. Just part of the cheesy replacement parts I guess. Not a very smooth action / sliding motion. Not like the original anyways.

Oh and incidentally, that VDO part is actually a Continental part.

So I ordered a complete VDO regulator panel that only came with the guides and it's a Continental. :rolleyes:
I'm calling FCP Euro on Monday and bitching about that.

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow, the customer service over at FCP just BLOWS!

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't know I must really be naive. What part of post #5 don't the people at FCP get? They are showing the whole panel in the picture on their website.
The sku number / part number is only for the rails / guides.
So put a picture up that shows what you're actually purchasing or at least make a note of it.

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
From Saturdays project.

So here's a side by side comparison. The black guides are the original ones. The new ones are cheesy. Thinner stamped material and certainly not a precise fit.
The only good thing about the new ones is the roller in the upper right. The originals had a fixed plastic piece that the cable would rub on.
We'll see how long these last. I'm guessing not very.
Hood Plant Gas Wood Automotive exterior

Hood Bumper Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Fridays work.

Old ones missing the covers on the back. Real weather proof. Not that it's really needed down here 10 months out of the year. Gets a lot of dirt on the inside though.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Rim Automotive exterior Fender

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Bumper Hood Motor vehicle

Working in my new shop area...
Under the sun!
Car Tire Vehicle Wheel Land vehicle

The "new" headlights. Much better. Just gotta get that hood release handle now so I can finish.
Car Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Grille

Oh and I'm on the prowl for one of these now. Notice the upper left tap missing. (n)
Font Gas Wood Composite material Metal

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The "associate " at FCP just sent me an email back. What a box of rocks I'm dealing with. I'm getting absolutely nowhere with this so I'm just giving up. Stupidity wins again captain obvious.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts