Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I am new to this forums.

In the market for the Passat Wagon V6, I need the help and comment regarding the 2003 used car with 34,000 km.

Your pro and cons comment are appreciated.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Welcome to the club!

Not sure if VW offers certified pre-owned warranties in Canada. That would be the only suggestion that I have regarding the purchase for peace of mind. You could also look into an extended warranty.

Failing that have an independent mechanic look over the car before you buy it. You should also be able to take the VIN to a local VW dealer and see if there are any outstanding recalls that may need to be taken care of.

Is the car you are looking at manual or automatic? What other options does it have? What are they asking for it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi rpaller,

It is a dealership used car with certified per-owned warranties in Canada for 2 years/40,000 km kick in after 4 years/80,000 factory warranty expired.

It is auto tranny with GLX package - fully loaded except the ESP, but ASR did equiped with the package.

The asking price is CAD 34,900.00 plus tax.

I have test drive the car last night, and it is beautiful car with all european class interior and handling. Black with beige interior which I is a little bit off my preference.

I worry most is the V6 engine for the reliability and problems. Since I own the TDi, I have very favourable with VW. My wife is more or likely for Japanese Car - Toyota Carmy.

2004 Toyota Carmy is asked for the same price as this used 2003 Passat GLX.

Your comment is always welcomed.

Cheers

OdieTdi2003

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
I worry most is the V6 engine for the reliability and problems.
V6 is the same exact engine that is used by Audi in the A4 from 97-2002 and the current A6. Change the timing belt around 120K kilometer's and with regular maintenance you should have no worries about that engine reaching well into 200K kilometers.

Not sure what new GLX's are going for in Canada, but my guess is this one is equivalent to about $26500 USD. GLX's hold their value well and so you may or may not have much room on price. If my math is right, I would see if you could do a little better on price.

Good luck with your decision! Let us know if you have more questions.

-Rob

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just received the phone call from sales person to lower the price to CAD 32850.00, which is much more attractive to me.

I have countered offer for CAD 30500.00, which is much sound right. I based on TVM @ NY Times pricing for USD 23200.00 for USA model GLX as dealship car.

Many thanks with your kind advise.

Cheers

-OdieTdi2003

·
Registered
46 Posts
OdieTdi03,

The dealership should be able to provide documented service records on this vehicle. 34,000 km is not insignificant on a 1 year old car, but its not outrageous either. Check the initial "in-service" date, so you know exactly when the 4 yr / 80,000 km warranty wears out and the next 2 years begins.

Also make sure that there are no oil leaks of any kind. I believe this engine is quite reliable, but some are prone to use oil, and VW doesn't consider it a problem unless its more than 1 litre per 1000 miles. I don't think that much oil consumption is reasonable at all.

Keep in mind that this was probably used as a demonstrator and salesperson's car, and has not had the most pampered life up to this point.

One last point - you will not achieve anything close to the mileage your TDI provides with the V6 Automatic.

That said, I'm a happy 2003 GLX Wagon owner myself - manual tranny though.

Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
VAG Mark,

Thankyou for your comment.

This car is a trade in for the new 2004 Audi All road by the sales manager's brother.

It is actually delivery on 2002 October, that means the factory warranty will be expired on 2006 September, when the pre certificated program 2/4000 warranty click in with the road side assistance - bump to bump.

Did you change the oil at dealship or DIY ?

As per dealship, oil change CAD 80.00, and major tune up for 64000 km will be arround 450 -500 ranges. Is it right price ? When compare to Toyota Carmy, it is cost about more or less.

For having the car is no problem , but the maintenance is the killer.

Cheers !!!

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Synthetic oil change at the dealer is about $75USD. It is pretty easy to DIY, just make sure to reattach the belly pan securely. And don't drive with it off. :)

Much of the scheduled maintenance can be done on your own. Only certain things should be checked by the dealer to keep the warranty in check. Timing belt inspection is one that comes to mind. That helps keep the maintenance costs in check.

If you do your own oil changes, keep your all receipts for warranty issues.

·
Registered
917 Posts
OdieTdi2003 said:
The asking price is CAD 34,900.00 plus tax.
You get a new GLS for less than that. www.vw.ca says CAD $32,420 list for GLS wagon with tiptronic. CAD $31,020 for manual. (okay, add on $575 delivery charge, but it is still cheaper.) And those are the list prices -- the dealer should come down from them.

Heck, vw.ca says that a new GLX wagon is only $34,520 with manual, $35,920 for tip (okay, plus $575). 34,900 is not much of a discount. As far as the used GLX being loaded, the only available option is ESP. They are all loaded.

Okay, I just noticed your later post:
OdieTdi2003 said:
I just received the phone call from sales person to lower the price to CAD 32850.00, which is much more attractive to me. I have countered offer for CAD 30500.00
Well, those prices are more realistic, but still --- For myself, I'd take "new" over "more options" pretty much any day. Or spend a few more dollars on a new GLX.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Did you change the oil at dealship or DIY ?

As per dealship, oil change CAD 80.00, and major tune up for 64000 km will be arround 450 -500 ranges. Is it right price ? When compare to Toyota Carmy, it is cost about more or less.
I get service and oil changes at the dealership now, although I'm thinking about starting to do the oil changes myself. My last oil change was $50 CAD, which was an "on special" price. I think that's too much, especially considering I bring my own synthetic oil which costs about $40.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
4 Participants
OdieTdi2003
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing