Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to Passat World and recently purchased a 2003 Passat W8 6-speed manual sedan. The car was originally an automatic, but the transmission died and the PO swapped a complete 60k mile engine/transmission from a totaled original 6-speed sedan (this swap included the full body and engine wiring harnesses). The chassis has 141,xxx on it now and it runs pretty well. The body is a solid 20-foot car with major clear-coat fade on the roof and regular dents/dings commensurate with the age of the car everywhere else. The interior is in pretty good shape with no rips/tears in the leather. I intend to save the car and keep it healthy while slowly cleaning up the body and making minor modifications (such as suspension and brakes, no power-train) during my ownership. It does have a custom exhaust (on it when I bought) consisting of a Magnaflow center 2-in/2-out resonator and V-Force Mufflers with nice rolled/dual-walled tips out back. The car sounds amazing with a low-speed burble and top-end wail. It's easy to overlook all of the other faults of the car with such an amazing sound coming from the exhaust.

I'm looking for assistance regarding fault P1151 - 35-10- System too lean - intermittent. It appears to be a purge-valve/carbon canister related issue since I also smell fuel for a day or two after filling up. The car runs fine and pulls hard to red-line. It does have a slight extended crank while warm after only being shut-off for a few minutes... such as when grabbing a cup of coffee. Has anyone dealt with this fault?

·
in dire need of an organic chemistry lesson
2,290 Posts
You can change the purge valve which is near the air filter housing. But I recommend to spend a bit more and buy an OEM rather than cheap Chinese ones on eBay.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can change the purge valve which is near the air filter housing. But I recommend to spend a bit more and buy an OEM rather than cheap Chinese ones on eBay.
Sounds good. I ordered a Bosch (OEM) valve and have that ready to install. Would you recommend replacing the carbon canister as well given the fuel smell?

·
Registered
26,221 Posts
I would check for leaks from the fuel tank as even a bad purge valve should not allow fuel leaks. Check this post:

·
in dire need of an organic chemistry lesson
2,290 Posts
Sounds good. I ordered a Bosch (OEM) valve and have that ready to install. Would you recommend replacing the carbon canister as well given the fuel smell?
Usually overfilling tank causes the charcoal canister to go bad. I would say first install the valve and see what happens. We go from there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would check for leaks from the fuel tank as even a bad purge valve should not allow fuel leaks. Check this post:
No fuel leaks that I can see/determine... but good thought.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Usually overfilling tank causes the charcoal canister to go bad. I would say first install the valve and see what happens. We go from there.
Understood and agreed. I just bought the car and previously the car was down for a couple years due to the swap/build, so not sure of the carbon canister condition.

We replaced the purge valve last night and found some debris inside the valve... not sure if that is just from age or debris from the canister itself. IF the CEL stays off I’ll know the valve was the issue. IF not, I’ll likely replace the canister as well.

I intend to smoke test the car soon to see if there’s any vacuum leaks that could be contributing to this issue.

Thank you for your help thus far. I’ll keep you posted.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts