Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Experiencing a small electrical issue here. I noticed my side marker lights on the right side of my 2003 Passat were out. After further investigation I noticed that the right side city lights (tinny light bulb in the headlights), and license plate sign are also out.

Here is what I've tried so far:

- changed light bulbs on some of the lights to see if they were just burned out
-checked the fuses (fuse # 22 and 23) and the fuse works fine. Swapped 22 with 23 and left still worked on right was still out

What I'm going to try next:

- ordered a new light light switch of ebay

Help i need:

If the new switch also won't solve my problem what do you think the problem could be? What would your course of action be?:confused:

Thanks!

·
Registered
8,940 Posts
If you don't have a multi-meter get a cheap one ($10 - $20).
What is the voltage at both sides of fuses 4, 22, and 23 with switch at first or second on position ?
If there is about 12V at both sides of those fuses, the fault/s is in the light unit or the wiring between the light and fuse.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Good advice from Tomvw above, except that our US (and Canadian, I think) have only a two-position headlight switch--off or on (and pull for fogs). There is no parking light position on the switch, and the DRLs are always on except when the key is off or the parking brake is set. And the water swirls the opposite way, too...

OP, your issue isn't with the headlight switch. The fuses are downstream of the headlight switch, and the same contact powers left and right sides (and license plate lights), hence Tom's advice to check for voltage at the fuses with the lights on. The steps you've taken all make sense and would point to a bad connection between the headlight switch and fuse, or between the fuse and lights, like Tom said.

However, the schematics (Bentley 48/12) show two separate wires leaving fuse 22, one to the front of the car, one to the rear. So, your issue is likely at or near the fuse panel. Wire 58R leaves the headlight switch as 2.5mm[SUP]2[/SUP], green/red, is spliced in the harness, then provides (switched) power to fuses 4 (license plate lights), 22 (right), & 23 (left), all 1.0mm[SUP]2[/SUP]. It also powers two 0.35mm[SUP]2[/SUP] wires to the cluster, also green/red. If you don't have voltage at the fuse, that splice is suspect.

The wires downstream of fuse 22 (right side lights) are 0.5mm[SUP]2[/SUP] each to front and rear, also green/red. If you have voltage on both sides of the fuse, the connection on the load side of the fuse is suspect.

Happy hunting!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey guys,

Thanks for this great information. I'll pick up a multi-meter tomorrow and jump on it. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
I'll keep you guys posted.

Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright guys. I'm done hunting for the issue.
Picked up the multi-meter and checked the fuses. I narrowed down the issue to the rear marker light. Seems like there is an issue in the wiring to the rear marker light. I'm assuming that if there is an issue with the wire for one of the marker lights that it would effect the other marker lights as well (just an assumption). Now I did more investigating on the right license plate light as well and it seems to be an issue with the metal prongs on the license plate light housing as the left license plate light housing with the right light bulb works just fine on the right side. Seems like my guess that the license plate lights are part of the parking lights might have been most likely wrong. In any case, with the wiring being the issue I don't think its worth the time and money just for some marker lights as fixing this would require someone with more expertise.

·
Registered
8,940 Posts
Looks like the problems are in the light units (likely bad connection in the socket) or the wiring.
If you post the voltages, we can help a lot more. What is the voltage at each side of fuses 4, 22, and 23 ?
What is the voltage at each light socket ?
Connect the negative probe to a good ground.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts