Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody, I'm new to this thread. I just purchased a 2003 VW Passat GLX 4dr sedan V6 2.8L. It was running perfectly fine the first month. But now, it won't start! I thought it was the battery so I got it recharged. The problem still exist. I put the key in, all the lights come on, but when I turn it...nothing happens...not even a revving noise! I saw somewhere online that it might be a fuse, was told to check #14 and #6. I tested those 2 with a multimeter and they seem to be fine. Could it be the starter??? How would I test that. THANKS IN ADVANCE!
Lou

·
in dire need of an organic chemistry lesson
2,409 Posts
I could indeed be a dead starter. Or a dead Crank Position Sensor. You need to scan the car and see if you get any specific fault codes.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Do you hear a click when you turn the key? Usually, there is an audible click that is the relay closing on the starter to connect it to the battery. If you hear the click but the engine doesn't turn, either the starter is bad, the engine is seized or the battery wiring is bad. If there is no click, it could be something like fuse #14 (are you sure it's OK?) or the parking switch disconnect. Ie, for an automatic, the shifter needs to be in P (or possibly N) or the car won't engage the starter. For a manual trans, the clutch must be depressed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for all the info Gang! Yeah, it doesn't do anything, no clicking noise...no revving...nothing! I did the test on fuse #14, even switched it out....still nothing. I'm gonna start with crank position sensor. Will get back y'all after that.
Peace,
Lou

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Just thought of one more thing to check: the ignition switch in the steering column. In general, I'd start to see if there is any power to the starter solenoid. If not, start tracing backwards. It's not a complicated circuit but there are numerous parts in the chain that can break the connection.

·
Registered
5,283 Posts
I'm gonna start with crank position sensor. Will get back y'all after that.
Peace, Lou
You can replace that, but nothing will change (in my opinion). The reason is that the CPS only gives a signal if the crank is actually moving, which your's is evidently not doing.
I do agree with Emry that a scan for fault codes is a good idea.

I also agree with Iowegian that the circuit, which you can say starts at the ignition switch, and ends at the starter solenoid, is probably where the problem lies. While difficult to get at, the solenoid wire terminal can have a wire lead attached, and led to a 12V bulb, the other bulb terminal being grounded. Turning the key to START should light the bulb, but if it doesn't, the ignition switch may be bad (I've had that happen). They are fairly inexpensive to replace, but at least have a Chilton's Passat manual to know the steps.

·
Registered
26,826 Posts
If it's a manual trans, it could even be the clutch switch. On an auto, it could be the multi-function switch (gear indicator/reverse lights) on the side of the trans. A scan will tell.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts