Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about getting another B5 this one has bad cats california car...link below ... has anyone used these.

The owner has spent $3k on repairs few months back timing belt etc....tune up...and more... now it will not pass smog cats needed..... i know the dealers/shops charge $2500 for both cat replacement, thinking doing it myself.... any comments... this thing is only worth 2k.... only seen it on craiglist ..taking a look Sunday.... also need drive shafts replacing... boots torn...owner wants 3k lol i was thinking 800

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
Which cats need replacing?
There a (4) of them on the V6.
I personally would find a junked car with V6 and strip off the exhaust system and swap it out. In the end probably the cheapest way to go.
That's what I did to my wife's 2003 GLX.
Oil and water somehow made it's way completely through the exhaust system and trashed all (4) cats.

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
Here's what I had to deal with on my wife's car when I bought it.

Intake

Right bank

Left bank

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Used parts are a good option but most of the pick-n-pull places around here do not sell cats, at least not to normal customers. I'm sure they are sold but probably in bulk to recyclers.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great idea going to junkyard... here in Cali it's against the law with a $20,000 fine if the junkyard sells used cats and gets caught .have not seen car yet but I expect the front cats are the problem....i would try cataclean first

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
I purchased the whole car as a parts car.
I was able to accommodate the extra space required for a junk car laying around. I understand that's not an option for everyone.
If you have that ability, that's the way to go.

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
Water in cats did you replace engine lot of bloody work
Yes I junked the original motor that came in the car I bought for my wife.
I had a spare V6 engine laying around from a previous car. I tore that engine apart and did a full rebuild. Did that in 2016

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tom your wrong there is two cats per bank... out of state one yes......look at my picture link on the link walker pipe.... cali has stricter rules....

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
The ATQ V6 2.8 has only two cats, one each side.
AHA has two cats, one per side, downstream only. Interestingly enough it does have four o2 sensors. Two upstream and two downstream.
ATQ has four cats, two per side, upstream and downstream.

·
Registered
9,379 Posts
AHA has two cats, one per side, downstream only. Interestingly enough it does have four o2 sensors. Two upstream and two downstream.
ATQ has four cats, two per side, upstream and downstream.
The ATQ has 2 cats and 2 resonators near the front.

·
Registered
27,231 Posts
Maybe over there, but in the US it has 4 cats.

The resonators are further back, along with the rear mufflers.

Reactions: AndreasPassat

·
Registered
27,231 Posts
Thinking about getting another B5 this one has bad cats california car..
The owner has spent $3k on repairs few months back timing belt etc....tune up...and more... now it will not pass smog cats needed..... i know the dealers/shops charge $2500 for both cat replacement, thinking doing it myself.... any comments... this thing is only worth 2k.... only seen it on craiglist ..taking a look Sunday.... also need drive shafts replacing... boots torn...owner wants 3k lol i was thinking 800
If the owner wants $3K, I don't think offering $800 is going to work. You can try explaining the costs of replacement cats, but I expect he would just laugh. Now, depending on what the codes are, a simple set of spacers on the rear O2 sensor may just fix the problem.

·
Registered
27,231 Posts
It's just different regulations for the countries, often, they change the engine code, much like the ADR and AWT that were not sold in the US.

Reactions: axenstar

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
After looking at the Passat its not worth putting money into it, most of the stuff i could do myself but i estimated what a shop would charge.... drive shafts need replacing boots torn for a long time.... both head pipes/cats/02s..... cassette box missing in trunk... trunk release not working....radio don't work...hole in rear brake light lens ...roof antenna base gone ..complete one needed r/r head liner .... missing oil pan shield... auto trans has not ever been serviced...owner said he has had the lower oil pan replaced twice... tags expired in April....the car value of this year car is no more than 2,500 in good cond... 140k miles.... i told the owner what it was worth.....$500....owner is about 25 years old seemed to agree.... he is going to continue driving car...if the cops stop him it will be in the impound lol... he has reduced price to $2,500
Thanks for all the info and pictures

1 - 20 of 21 Posts