Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife will be out of town this weekend. Gives me two full days of un-impeded working, should I experience any issues.
I'll be attempting a W8 headlight conversion on her 2003 GLX sedan.
The original lights are so clouded over turning on the lights does no good from a drivers perspective.
I've used a 3M lens cleaning kit on them twice already in the last 5 years.
Perfect time for a conversion.

Purchased brand new blank 12pin headlight connecters so I can change out the original headlight harness and still retain 'factory' connections.

I got all day tomorrow to prep myself for this. Yeah.

Reactions: Iowegian and VAGguy

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
I'd also like to see how that job goes. I mentioned that we've got an A5 Sportback now, which pretty-well convinced me that the new LED headlights are the way to go. My 15 year-old A4 has HIDs, which are OK but not as good.

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Document the steps if you can. I'm considering the same swap and I'd like to know what is involved.
I'll see what I can do ;)

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd also like to see how that job goes. I mentioned that we've got an A5 Sportback now, which pretty-well convinced me that the new LED headlights are the way to go. My 15 year-old A4 has HIDs, which are OK but not as good.
Just so you know I'm going from Halogen's to HID's.
Factory W8 HID's with 35 watt ballasts. Nothing crazy. I need something that throws good light out in front of me though. Driving around down by our property, gets pretty dark in the desert. No street lights, signs, stop lights for miles around in every direction.

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's a snap shot of the current halogens against a wall anywhere between 30 - 40 feet.
No lights in the area, pretty weak and yellow.

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That video isn't what I expected. The light projected onto the road actually looks brighter in this video than in real life.
Still pretty poor light though.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I'll just say, my W8 isn't exactly the brightest. My lights work best, and I can see better, when my fog lights are on. They out shine the hid's. Mine are also pointed to the ground pretty bad, and I can't get them adjusted.

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Welp,
This swap turned into a giant fail. I can't get the original B5.5 headlight connectors de-pinned. My intentions were to de-pin the original B5.5 10pin connector and install the termination ends into the new 12pin connector that plug into the W8 HID's. This way everything would still maintain a factory connection. Ultimately if needed I could go back to the original B5.5 headlights by swapping everything back to original.

My next course of action will be to find a junk set of B5.5 headlights and pull out the male connector that is attached to the headlight housing. I will then solder in bigger wires to match the wires coming from the headlight harness and make a 10pin to 12pin adapter cable.

Note to members: if anybody has a set laying around they want to get rid of...

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here is the conversion from 10pin (B5.5) to 12pin (W8)

10-pin ----> 12-Pin
10 ----> 6 (or 8) (ground) Brown
8 -----> 8 (or 6) (ground) Brown
9 -----> 1 Black
7 -----> 3 Gray / Black
5 -----> 5 Yellow / Black
1 -----> 4 & 7 (needs to be split into two wires) White / Black

9, 10, 11, & 12 will be vacant on the 12-pin plug. (auto levelers)

I don't have the info for hooking up the auto levelers in this conversion.

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Original B5.5 10pin connector showing positions:
8 - Brown
10 - Brown

Original B5.5 10pin connector showing positions:
9 - Black
7 - Grey / Black
5 - Yellow / Black
1 - White - Black

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
You will of course need to swap out the original switch to a W8 or Euroswitch

Original B5.5 headlight switch

Swapped in Euroswitch

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When I get the adapter harness made I will update this post with appropriate pictures.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,745 Posts
I have a few B5.5s at my local yard I can pull the headlight side out of. Too easy.

Reactions: AndreasPassat

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have a few B5.5s at my local yard I can pull the headlight side out of. Too easy.
Really?
I'm game.
I've pretty much given up on looking for salvage cars down here. I've gone to a few local yards and when I ask about a B5 they look at me like I've got 3 eyes.
The Phoenix area is not an area that saw any amount of earlier year Passat's. Boat loads current model Passat's though.
I can probably count on one hand all of the B5/B5.5's I've seen since I moved here coming up on 3 years. Ok, I'll stop exaggerating, both hands.

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I still have those A6 headlights, they are 12 pin hid lights. I'll go check after coffee.
Are the headlights in good condition?
Don't want to trash a set of good lights just for a connector. Unless your throwing me a deal I can't pass up. :whistle:

·
Registered
205 Posts
They aren't bad, but I don't have an A6, and nobody else wants them. They came from that TT car I pulled the motor from.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts