Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for other suggestions. We still have our '03 wagon we bought new in November 2002. We're approaching 200,000 miles. Over the last 6 months or so, I've been getting an intermittent check engine light. Each time it's a P301 code - cylinder 1 misfire. I changed out the spark plugs (using OEM NGKs) but still got an intermittent code. And by intermittent, I mean it can go weeks without a code and then some morning, on a cold start, to gets a rough idle start. I can feed it a little gas and it will smooth out. Of course, it will have thrown a code. Without doing anything to it, next morning it's a smooth start. I bought a new OEM coil pack from ECS, still occasionally throws a 301 code.

While I can see that the end is within sight for this car, I'd like to go a little longer yet. After having ran a search here, I think the only thing left to do is try moving the spark plug to another cylinder and see if the code follows it. My mechanic thought it's maybe a questionable injector. I'm going to run a can of Seafoam through the tank and see if that helps. Any other thoughts / suggestions?

Man, it's been a long time since I've posted here!!

Reactions: PZ and VAGguy

·
Registered
137 Posts
If the injector is in question, you might try swapping it to a different cylinder to see if the misfire follows it.

Visually check the injector and coil wiring for damage. They're known to get brittle and break from the heat over time.

Checking the wiring electrically is a little more difficult as you'll need to pull the ECU connectors and find the correct wire.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I'm a little concerned that it might be the wire. I'll check out the injection swap after I try the Seafoam. It's still a little cold out to be messing with this for now. Thanks for your comment.

·
Registered
590 Posts
If you replace the ignition coils, you should also replace the ignition wires. At least that’s my logic... :D

·
Registered
5,969 Posts
If you replace the ignition coils, you should also replace the ignition wires. At least that’s my logic... :D
Maybe if it's a V6.
1.8's don't have ignition wires.

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maybe if it's a V6.
1.8's don't have ignition wires.
Actually the 1.8T does have ignition wires, and they're part of an expensive harness. ECS Tuning sells a repair kit that would have you cut off the wiring segments to the coil packs and graft on a connector to the main harness. Then you replace the segments from the connector to each coil pack. It doesn't look too difficult - cut, crimp on the connector, and install the pre-assembled wire connectors to the coil packs. I see the potential to drop the crimp connectors since you have to work at the back of the engine towards the firewall with not a lot of play in main harness. Plus my back doesn't like to work bent over like that anymore. Just realized it - my car's now old enough to "vote!"

Here's a link to the pdf directions: 1.8T AWM Ignition Wire Kit Directions

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,959 Posts
Actually the 1.8T does have ignition wires, and they're part of an expensive harness. ECS Tuning sells a repair kit that would have you cut off the wiring segments to the coil packs and graft on a connector to the main harness. Then you replace the segments from the connector to each coil pack. It doesn't look too difficult - cut, crimp on the connector, and install the pre-assembled wire connectors to the coil packs. I see the potential to drop the crimp connectors since you have to work at the back of the engine towards the firewall with not a lot of play in main harness. Plus my back doesn't like to work bent over like that anymore. Just realized it - my car's now old enough to "vote!"

Here's a link to the pdf directions: 1.8T AWM Ignition Wire Kit Directions
This is the part that gets me called "fun at parties" :geek:.

Technically, when the words ignition wires are used, it is referring to spark plug wires from a distributor or a coil. The 1.8T wires are just regular wires leading to the coil packs that carry the pulses to fire the coils directly to the plug.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Do you have a booking website? I’ve got a party coming up, and need to hire a fungi; or at least some dude with dark mouldy old jokes... you’ll do just fine...

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Technically, when the words ignition wires are used, it is referring to spark plug wires from a distributor or a coil. The 1.8T wires are just regular wires leading to the coil packs that carry the pulses to fire the coils directly to the plug.
Well, you say toe - may - toe and I say toe - ma - toe.... :)

This I know - the sparkplug ain't gonna ignite the air/fuel mix without that wire....

Reactions: VAGguy
1 - 10 of 10 Posts