Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the car is new to me, my winter beater. transmission is acting up. this didn’t happen till colder weather hit us....
upon starting car, warming a couple minutes, shifting into reverse or drive is delayed, then a big clunk.... i think its going into 3rd or 4th... then pulls away as if its in higher gear. stopping and restarting will fix it , it and will run normally, often for rest of day, but sometimes have to repeat the restart. also, tiptronic shifter stopped working at same time. a couple weeks ago it worked fine. because of the restart getting me on my way normally, im thinking its an electronic issue, a sensor or switch issue. no codes show anything tho. any ideas where to start? it is becoming annoying! tia

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,747 Posts
Check the fluid level first. It might be low given that it works better after it is warmed up. Warmer fluid increases volume and is a lower viscosity than cold.
What does the dash display show for the gears? Is the background and letter/number color reversed?
Check under the right front seat carpet for water or wetness. Same location, no matter if LHD or RHD (for anyone else researching later)

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
no codes show anything tho. any ideas where to start?
No codes as with a generic OBD tester, or with a Volkswagen-specific tool such as VCDS? You need to be reading transmission module codes. As said, fluid level is a good place to start. Perhaps that car has never had a filter and ATF change. Also, Tiptronic shifter magnets were prone to fall out of their sockets, and if laying on a Hall effect position sensor, might trip up the control module.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Will get it lifted at local shop for fluid level test.
I have zero history on the dar, so no idea what has, or more likely ,hasn't been done to it...only had it a month.
Though I do not really care about the Tiptronic working or not, I noticed it was a symptom that occured at the same time...it was working a week or so ago,when tranny was also working fine ( and why I kinda thought it was an electronic fault more than fluid/filter sort of thing).
Dash display is normal, only have OBD tester.
I have heard about the module under the carpet..will check for dampness, but doubt...no rain in the last while, and was dry when I got it cleaned up on arrival.
Aside from replacing module, it's sounding like this may be a dealer specific repair. Crap. Don't have one within 100 Km.
No transmission shops either.
Just got it into my garage,off gravel drive, to see if there's a leak...will warm it up for a while, shift a few times then have a look.
Thanx guys...this is a good start. Cheers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts