Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had a complete timing belt service and even replaced the chain tensioner. All was good. Several thousand miles later, I'm hearing this rattle from the engine bay. Not sure if it's actually from the engine itself or around it. Could it be the tensioner?

And yes, I have the cover exposed and it's a bit messy from the previous valve cover leak. I'll get around to cleaning it. :p

Videos here.

Part 1:
(when the camera went closer to the engine, you could hear it)
Part 2:
(you can hear it more apparently here)

Any ideas would be appreciated.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Not a diagnosis, but a personal observation . My cam chain was rattling pretty good . That was the least is my worries at the time . My coolant flange was leaking badly and my low oil pressure light came on . Well ended up getting the flange done and the pickup and o ring done . All is very good now and the oil light never came back on . The chain rattle was pretty much gone no internal damage was done .My observation is the the increased oil pressure made the tensioner work again . Again , I may be dead wrong but it's a noticeable difference. The tensioner works off oil pressure , right ?

·
Registered
115 Posts
sounds like a cam chain tensioner issue to me... but you replaced. possibly low oil pressure at idle... should be around 20# at idle

edit: i should add oil pressure should be measured when oil is hot, like after driving a bit

·
Registered
266 Posts
I was going to say you should consider an internally collapsed catalytic converter which I had happen about this time last year, but it doesn't sound random enough to be that. While it did cause a noise to be generated in that same area, it sounded more irregular than yours. Still, if your tensioner turns out to be ok, its another possibility to consider.

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,457 Posts
All the time? On startup? On hot idle?

When my cam chain adjuster was leaking, I got startup and hot idle rattle only, with the latter accompanied by whiffs of burning oil.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Does this sound imply a problem? I have a pretty similar sound to it too but I thought it was the charasteristic sound of the chain rolling... :D If it isn't normal, then I suppose I have things to take care of, too. 1.8 20v, ADR.

Though the CCT does make a "BRAAAAM" -sound for a second, every fifth cold startups or so.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
A good car with a chain tensioner in good condition doesn't make any noise.
OP, where did you buy the tensioner? Is it OEM or aftermarket. My bet is tensioner makes noise, probably due to lower aftermarket quality.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Not a diagnosis, but a personal observation . My cam chain was rattling pretty good . That was the least is my worries at the time . My coolant flange was leaking badly and my low oil pressure light came on . Well ended up getting the flange done and the pickup and o ring done . All is very good now and the oil light never came back on . The chain rattle was pretty much gone no internal damage was done .My observation is the the increased oil pressure made the tensioner work again . Again , I may be dead wrong but it's a noticeable difference. The tensioner works off oil pressure , right ?
This doesn't make much sense to me. Flange would only impact engine overheating, no oil pressure. It can impact the oil pressure if the engine would overheat A LOT, but that would cause other problems to begin with.
I bet the oil pressure is a little higher now because it's colder outside, and oil a little more viscous.

·
Registered
971 Posts
This doesn't make much sense to me. Flange would only impact engine overheating, no oil pressure. It can impact the oil pressure if the engine would overheat A LOT, but that would cause other problems to begin with.
I bet the oil pressure is a little higher now because it's colder outside, and oil a little more viscous.
He also said that he replaced the pickup. I'm assuming meaning the oil pickup tube that feeds the pump. Gunk clogging the screen on that tube is a common cause of low oil pressure

·
Registered
274 Posts
Thanks for actually reading the post . Yea , the pickup
Was marginally blocked . The o ring detererating on the pickup tube was the other part of the low pressure. The cooling flange was just a little icing on the cake . I was dumping a gallon of B12 every 2 weeks and it was getting worce. Got both done for 800 cash at a VW garage .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts