Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I found there is something wrong with my vw passat starter. Sometime starts and sometime nothing.
I have checked the starter solenoid ,battery as well as the cable connections,all of they are good.
I assume the problem is the starter itself,since it's has been used for about 10 years.
If I asked a mechanic to check,the labor cost is about $150,it still does not include the starter cost.
I chance upon an aftermarket volkswagen passat starter replacement from Hex Auto Parts costs $45.6 and free shipping. I haven't see many reviews about these cheap volkswagen passat starter replacement.
Have you ever bought this brand starter replacement ?
If not,which brand of auto car starter do you use ?
Thank you for your sharing.

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
A starter for Passat for less than $50. I would run away from that. The low end starters that are even considered worthy of use on a Passat start at just over $200 and go up from there.
Just because a starter is 10 years old doesn't mean its bad.
My 1998 V6 GLS still has the original starter in it.
Check all of your electrical connections carefully, preferably with an electrical meter. Check your grounding points on the engine and starter. Also check the bare braided wire on the end of the starter.
Sometimes that gets corroded and breaks, resulting in a no start condition.

Bosch brand starters are decent.

·
in dire need of an organic chemistry lesson
2,562 Posts
My starter is factory original (2002 like yours) and working after 19 years. You can try to get a used starter from local junkyard but again it's gonna be a Russian roulette. It may work many years or it may die the next day. Also you can try buying a new one at reasonable price on eBay. Yes they are all Made-in-China but since China is the biggest VW market globally, they tend to make relatively acceptable parts. Given the age of your car, you need to do the math as how much you want to spend and how long more the car lasts.

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
Just because a starter is 10 years old doesn't mean its bad. My 1998 V6 GLS still has the original starter in it.
Starter motors are like batteries in a way: they get blamed and replaced when they are not the problem.

The starter doesn't run long enough to wear out, but the solenoid contacts can become burnt. A guy I know replaced his burned starter contacts with two brazed-on pennies; said he fixed it for $.02.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Starter went bad in mine after nearly 20 years. Went china route, if you do go that way, DO check and test it before you bolt it in. Mine had wires soldered to the wrong points straight out of the box. I highly doubt Bosh or other known manufactures would have f'd this up. Made corrections, slapped it in and it's been going good for 8 months so far.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I've only had one bad starter on the dozen or so Passats that have spent time in my garage over the years. Al had well over 100k miles. I believe that the OEM units are very well made. Good, new replacement starters are quite pricey, so I would never hesitate to replace with a used, tested, OEM unit for less than $50.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts