Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I am currently working on fixing my electrical issues caused by the pollen filter leakage (fixed thus far) from the previous owner and the past several months when I have had to park outside. The monsoon amp is not getting power and all four windows do not work. I have two questions:
a) could anyone tell me what these two inline fuses are (under the steering wheel and dashboard) and what are the wires connected to them? I have a feeling one or both of them might have failed and I would like to replace them.

b)the cluster of 5-6 brown wires (see picture) appear to all have been spliced to the one brown wire hanging above and are now disconnected. From my reading it seems that I will need to splice the brown wire cluster to the one above which appears to have disconnected. Does this seem correct or a good idea?

any wisdom from members of the form would be greatly appreciated! thanks so much for taking the time!

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
The part you've labeled as Inline Fuse #2 is almost certainly why your windows don't work. The 30 amp window circuit breaker should plug in to it. The red wire is battery, red/white goes to each door. It should normally be snapped in to the 8-position relay panel.

I think the circuit breaker is missing in your picture; if memory serves, it's in a metal housing, so you've just got the socket.

I'm less clear on what "Inline Fuse #1" might be. Is it a socket? What color are the wires on each side?

The Monsoon amp gets its power from a 30 amp fuse, but I'm not sure where it's located. The supply wire is red, load side wire(s) are red/brown.

Regarding the wires in the second picture: are they indeed plain brown? They look more like yellow or orange, and with stripes (black?).

Plain brown wires are ground in these cars, but I don't think that's what you have there. What is the location of these wires? There are some factory splices of this sort, typically in the floor harness, where a wire goes to each door, but those colors don't look right.

The majority of the wires are a base color with a stripe; the color of both is significant.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.