Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

2002 V6 climatronic no heat

9K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  RCinSTP 
#1 · (Edited)
The dashboard temp gauge shows the engine heating to normal temp and staying at normal temp. When I turn the heat on it blows cold air.
My question is: Do the codes mean that is actually the problem? Or, is it possible to have those codes but the flaps are actually working properly? I understand that no heat can be caused by air in the system or a clogged heater core -but- with the codes, should I just go ahead and do whatever repair is needed for the flaps? Also, I searched but was not able to find any info about repairing the flaps. Are there any writeups on this repair?

I'm getting the following codes:

Address 08: Auto HVAC Labels: 3Bx-907-044.LBL
Controller: 3B1 907 044 J
Component: CLIMATRONIC B5GP 0003
Coding: 17200
Shop #: WSC 00028
VCID: 28238D14DBEB
2 Faults Found:
01271 - Positioning Motor for Temperature Flap (V68)
37-00 - Faulty
01274 - Air Flow Flap Positioning Motor (V71)
37-00 - Faulty

See less See more
#3 ·
I believe there is a flap that switches the air flow from your heater core to the outside vent.

Im new to VW's and not sure if that's the case or where exactly all that is located.. (in the dash likely)

But based on the error codes I'd say the moror has either failed, or some how jammed and can't close off air to the outside and over to the heater core.. ergo you continue to get cold (outside) air.

Sorry I can't be more helpful but I'd start researching the duct work in the dash to see where the flap and motor is and if possible check it out.

#4 ·
There was someone years ago who was able to replace a flap motor by removing the glove box. I don't know which flap motor is V68 and which is V71. I might be able to dig out the Bentley on Sunday and check. I've had a Climatronic dash apart for a heater core change, but I did not pay attention to the flap motors.

#5 ·
PZ, I am thinking that the codes are most likely accurate and that I should go straight for fixing the flap motors. Then, if that doesn't fix the problem, I can try back flushing and getting the air out of the system, etc. Does that sound right? For example, I don't think I would get those codes if the flap doors/motors were working fine but the heater core was clogged.
I also have a Bentley manual and I need to dig it out and check it.

#7 ·
I get codes for flaps/ motors not working. I know they do but I think they are on the way out as I hear clicking behind the dash that sounds like the flap may be sticking. If yours are working as they should you won't have the codes. I don't feel like having to remove the glove box and lower dash to mess with it. Maybe I should to correct the issue I am having lol I am not sure how involved the process is.

When was the last time the coolant system was serviced?

What color is the coolant in th overflow tank?

Unless they are completely closed off then I would think you should be still be getting some heat. I would do a complete coolant flush including the HC along with back flushing it. Refill with G12. Bleed the system correctly and see what happens. If that doesn't work. Tackle the vents

#8 ·
I had those same codes and same no-heat problem. I also looked into how I could replace the motors. My advice is to stop thinking this is the problem. My belief - and I could be completely wrong but -I think that when your system is blowing cold when it should be blowing hot is that the motors are being told by other parts of the system ( temp sensor on the dash, etc ) that they must direct their flaps further to the heat position, even though they are already fully to that position. This creates the trouble codes being sent.

I power-flushed the crap out of the heater core, converted my coolant to Prestone and have not had any heating/cooling problems since. I haven't run a diagnostic on the Climatronic b/c I don't need to.

Good luck.

#9 ·
With the VCDS software I checked the measuring blocks for flaps an when I switch the floor vents on and off the numbers moved, etc., but, whatever I did one of the actuators did not respond. I removed the glove box and from there I was able to see the two servo/actuator motors that control the flaps, I tried all the various positions for the heater and the actuator with the red arm never moved, the blue arm moved but not the red. I was able to get the red actuator out from there removing only the glove box. I could not budge the red arm when the actuator was connected to it but as soon as I disconnected the actuator, I moved the arm and heat came out of the vents. I took the actuator apart to try to fix it but the motor is shot. I'm going to buy a new actuator but, I'm not sure which of the numbers on the unit are the "part number" that I should be looking for. I am attaching a picture. Which number is the part number? Text Font Number Metal

#13 ·
I did watch that video but I did not need to remove any plastic, I just removed the bolts and it dropped down. I used a 1/4" ratcheting wrench (GearWrench) with a Torx in it. I had to put some tape on the Torx bit to keep it in place and still allow the ratchet to turn. All three bolts were Torx, I think in the video he uses an open end wrench for one of the bolts. Thank for helping to figure out the part number. I ordered a new part but I haven't put it in yet. Putting the new part in may be harder than taking the old part out -but- if I can't get the hardest to reach bolt back in, I will skip it and leave that bolt out. The space did not seem cramped to me at all, it seemed easy to access. The hardest part (so far) was removing the glove box, I would find some good instructions before you remove the glove box so you don't break the fragile plastic pieces that hold the bolts/screws.

Eyewear Sunglasses Glasses Wood Material property
Laminate flooring Wood Wood stain Hardwood Floor

#14 ·
I have a Kobalt set that I got at Lowe's hardward for $10 that is like that but it contains a multiple of bits in a little case. There are torx, XZN triple square, phillips, etc and it comes in handy so often. It is just a small little kit and seems almost like a toy but I use it all the time and it's really handy for getting extra torque on a screw or getting into tight spaces.

I just looked at Lowe's website and I didn't find the one I have but they have this one that looks to be an expanded version of what I have, although it contains sockets instead of XZN bits, etc. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-35-...c-Polished-Chrome-Mechanic-s-Tool-Set/3387640

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.