Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I had a meeting last Sunday morning and I promised I would go grocery shopping after, so I took the SUV. I come home to find that my dad had wanted to help me out and change my oil which I mean, gotta love Dad. Only problem was, he ****** my oil filter with a wrench or pair of pliers and punctured it.
We tried everything we had which included a cup I bought specifically for my car. As a last attempt, I used one of those adjustable rubber wrench things and it started to move and then slipped and I snapped some brittle plastic hose connector that sits under my coolant tank. See the pics. I paid a guy $10 and he took my filter off and I'm good on that but this plastic part is now my problem.

I attached pictures of my engine before and after taking the tank off. And yes, that is my hand holding together a brass fitting connected with PVC tubing I jerry rigged together. I took and screw and used plumbers tape and jammed it down the 3rd opening and then tightened it all with electrical tape. I also put the pictures of what originally was attached and what was left of the plastic.

I have a scanner and I'm throwing the misfire codes. and idling ever so roughly at 800, but driving it I have no problems. I just want to know what part to buy to fix it. I bought a Vacuum Suction Pump, but the connectors were too big for the tubing I had.

EDIT: I had no idea they would be that small, they are definitely in better resolution https://imgur.com/a/dfn9M

Attachments

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I believe what is broken is:
a vacuum line comes off the intake, just downstream of the throttle body.
It goes to a tee, and there are check valves off of each leg of the tee, one pointing up, the other pointing toward the driver's seat.
Both of those check valves should allow flow toward the intake (the vacuum diagram shows one backwards).
The check valve pointing up connects to the vacuum reservoir, inside the left fender.
The check valve point rearward connects to another hose, I think to the evap valve over the right fender.

These are rather brittle plastic; I broke mine some years ago. Any old tee and check valve will do to repair, but the check valves are important, since the intake is not at vacuum when the turbo is boosting.

Your codes are likely all due to vacuum leak. However, you may get a small leak or large leak emissions code if the evap valve isn't getting vacuum.

The vacuum lines changed several times, so hopefully your vacuum diagram sticker is present. But beware that valve orientation error--they never seemed to fix that!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe what is broken is:
a vacuum line comes off the intake, just downstream of the throttle body.
It goes to a tee, and there are check valves off of each leg of the tee, one pointing up, the other pointing toward the driver's seat.
Both of those check valves should allow flow toward the intake (the vacuum diagram shows one backwards).
The check valve pointing up connects to the vacuum reservoir, inside the left fender.
The check valve point rearward connects to another hose, I think to the evap valve over the right fender.

These are rather brittle plastic; I broke mine some years ago. Any old tee and check valve will do to repair, but the check valves are important, since the intake is not at vacuum when the turbo is boosting.

Your codes are likely all due to vacuum leak. However, you may get a small leak or large leak emissions code if the evap valve isn't getting vacuum.

The vacuum lines changed several times, so hopefully your vacuum diagram sticker is present. But beware that valve orientation error--they never seemed to fix that!
But aren't the Tee what I disconnected the hose from?

Sorry, I'm just slightly confused.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
A picture is, hopefully, worth 1000 words.

Picture is looking from the left side of the car. You can see the check valve coming up towards you, "hiding" the tee, and the other check valve going toward the driver's seat.

IMG_5463.jpg

(My 2001.5 Passat is, sadly, gone. This is the best picture I've got.)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A picture is, hopefully, worth 1000 words.

Picture is looking from the left side of the car. You can see the check valve coming up towards you, "hiding" the tee, and the other check valve going toward the driver's seat.

View attachment 86969

(My 2001.5 Passat is, sadly, gone. This is the best picture I've got.)
Sorry for double post but this is what I bought Vacuum Suction Pump.jpg

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,589 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nope, the suction jet pump that goes up by the firewall. You'll need that eventually if the one in the car is original.

I think it's this. https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/t-piece-fitting/034133382aa/. You can get the part from the dealer or find a generic "T" with the same dimensions from Autozone or something.
Thank you, I figured out I bought the wrong part and have returned it. I already have a brass 3 way fitting on there, would that work as well? Because I saw on the link you shared that 1 is much smaller.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,589 Posts
cant see why it wouldn't work. If it fits, it'll do!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cool! I had to go buy a 3/8" brass coupling because the 3rd hose I can't break the plastic so I'm gonna cut it off and extend it a little and then reattach everything to the 3 way coupling!

Here's hoping it all goes well! ;D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I still suck at forums apparently...
cant see why it wouldn't work. If it fits, it'll do!
Hey VAGguy, I know it's been over a year since my OP so I hope nobody minds I'm doing this. Just wanted to post a 1+ year update! Things are going absolutely fine with my jerry-rigged setup. I was under the hood today and saw it and remembered this post. I took some pics to show it's still good to go. Although the electrical tape is looong gone lol. Better Quaity: https://imgur.com/a/BHeXTYF
20190726_141707.jpg 20190726_141728.jpg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts