Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2004 GLS 1.8T
12,187 Posts
Sounds like you're new to this procedure. Before doing anything else, make sure you're removing the correct plug. A common error is to drain the transmission by mistake. That's the plug that's obviously for oil; in fact, the oil drain is covered by the plastic belly pan.

·
Registered
5,769 Posts
Yep, if you drain the ATF, it will be a whole new adventure getting more back in. If you mistakenly remove the transmission the drain plug, don't try to drive the car without further advice.

·
Registered
148 Posts
As above, check that you're trying to remove the correct plug (it will drain to the left, not straight down). Then....

Step 1... Find the person who last changed the oil and beat the ever living sh!t out of them for over torquing the drain plug. They were obviously to cheap or lazy to put a new plug (or at the very least, a new crush washer) in.

It's a steel plug in an aluminum pan, so if it's been over torqued, there's a good chance the pan has been damaged (or will when you break the plug loose).

You could try getting a hold of a fluid extractor and sucking it out through the dipstick tube. Make sure the auction tube goes all the way in to the pan.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,576 Posts
Does sucking the oil out through the dipstick really get the oil sludge out of the oil pan?

·
Registered
7,619 Posts
Does sucking the oil out through the dipstick really get the oil sludge out of the oil pan?
Unless you get a hose that goes through the dipstick tube (pretty darn small) no. The dipstick tube has got a generous distance from the end of the tube to the bottom of the oil pan.
Hence leaving a fair amount old contaminated oil left in the engine.

I've got spare dipstick tube for V6 laying around somewhere. The end of the tube that sits down in the oil has got large cut-out in it, which is approx 1.00" from the bottom of the oil pan. Definitely going to leave some old oil behind.
The 1.8 and the TDI I'm not so sure about.

Reactions: John_E

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
On many cars, it has been shown that there’s practically no difference in effectiveness of the two methods. I the oil is warm, you’ve circulated everything and the oil is fairly homogeneous. If there is sludge sitting at the bottom of your oil pan, it won’t flow out in the gravity method either.

·
Registered
142 Posts
If you have oil sludge you have either a poor oil choice or not changing the oil enough .

Hopefully with VW's finest LongLife spec...

The dispersants in the oil keep impurities in suspension with their lovely little polar heads with hydrocarbon tails .

With a car new to me I always change the oil twice a week apart .

To test the extraction method do extraction then open the sump plug to see what comes out , if it's minimal you're on to a winner .

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hello I’m trying to change my oil and I got the filter on but I’m having trouble getting the plug bolt off. Does anyone have any recommendations
Yes it sounds like someone put that bolt in too tightly.
A longer wrench or breaker bar should do the trick or even taking it over to a "good" oil change place and let them handle the oil change. I vote for the breaker bar and socket though.
Make sure to use the correct VW-spec oil!
There are also some inexpensive remedies (oversize plugs or inserts) if the pan threads are damaged but you might be OK.... ;)

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,998 Posts
Unless you get a hose that goes through the dipstick tube (pretty darn small) no. The dipstick tube has got a generous distance from the end of the tube to the bottom of the oil pan.
Hence leaving a fair amount old contaminated oil left in the engine.

I've got spare dipstick tube for V6 laying around somewhere. The end of the tube that sits down in the oil has got large cut-out in it, which is approx 1.00" from the bottom of the oil pan. Definitely going to leave some old oil behind.
The 1.8 and the TDI I'm not so sure about.
The tube could be in the top and have 10" to the bottom of the pan and not matter. What matters is the length of the dipstick and the length of the suction tube. I do all 3 cars this way. The suction tube is plenty long enough. In fact, I have inserted it so far that it hits the pan bottom and curves back up and out of the oil. Pull back slightly and it then dips below oil level to continue removal.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts