Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2002 Passat Wagon now has 154,000 miles on it. It has very little rust and runs great, couple of quirks like the o2 heater circuit and the dash display that fades as it warms up. It is coming up on its second timing belt change, and it will need the cam tensioner gaskets done as well. My question is on the reliability of the bottom end of these motors and head gaskets? Are the bottom ends and head gaskets pretty bullet proof, and if I do the timing belt and top end gaskets can I get another few years of trouble free engine usage. I know other things can be quirky, it is a VW but trying to decide if maybe it would be time to trade up to a newer model, before I spend the time and money to do the timing and gasket work. I have been meticulous about the maintenance since owning it transmission and differentials have been serviced, it has new brakes and rotors all around. Like I said it does just fine, just want to make sure I don't spend a few hundred on parts for the timing belt, put all the personal time in the change out and find out the bottom end goes 10k later.

·
Registered
29,157 Posts
The V6 is a robust engine block and should last 300K+ as long as it is not overheated. New gaskets, timing belt, CCT pads (if synthetic was not always used) and seals should make it last at least another 75K. The biggest issue I have with them is the oil leaks that occur every 5 years or so. By then, you should be ready for a replacement.

The Golf Sportswagon is supposed to come out with 4wd next year (without the jacked up all-road add-ons). That is what may eventually replace mine. I love the Audis, but at double the cost, they are a bit too pricey.

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,588 Posts
There is no better-sized, better-configured car than a B5/B5.5 Passat wagon. In its finite wisdom, Audi of America canceled the A4 Avant in the US, and VWoA has no plans to offer the current Passat wagon over here. The Golf Sportwagen may well be my next car, but I hate to give up 12 cu ft of cargo space.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.