Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, the dealership is gonna rape me :shock: so I want to be a DIYer and save a buck. What is the best oil to use for the turbo 1.8t? What are the best brake pads? Also, i am looking to replace my stock rotors with some cross drilled ones. any suggestions? and if you do know what the second runner up in those catagories are, i am interested to hear. :???: Thanks, ahead of time :wink:

·
Registered
917 Posts
If you want to save a buck, why are you wanting to put on cross-drilled rotors? Unless there is something wrong with your present rotors, these are a needless expense that isn't going to make much, if any, difference for everyday driving. If it is for cosmetics only, well -- okay, but ---

FWIW Mobil 1 5w30 doesn't have the certifications that VW requires for 1.8t oil, however the M1 0w40 does. Important - I'm not trying to start an oil war. There are plenty of those already present on CB5.

·
Registered
716 Posts
One concern is do you have warranty left? If so, I'd use a 5W-40 or Mobil1 0W-40 and an OEM filter. NAPA usually has Valvoline Synthetic 5W-40. Our resident tech guru, Sharky, recently shared with us info on a new oversized OEM filter for the '04's, if you are interested in that, and I picked one up from the dealer for the same price as the '02 OEM filter. Make sure to keep the receipts and document your oil changes, just in case you need them for warranty purposes.

Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts