Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been on the forum for about a week and have found it very informative in troubleshooting and repairing the following codes 'P0171, P0300, P0301, P0302, P0303, and P0304'.

I have a friends 2002 1.8T Passat (vin:WVWPD63B02P368627) with about 180k miles. I have replaced the plugs, air filter, cleaned the TB, replaced the skirt that holds the magnet for the Triptronic, and installed the plastic clips for the power window to ride up and down on. While replacing the driver side air vent I noticed (2) fuses behind the steering column one was 15 amp fuse in a green holder and a 20 amp fuse in an orange holder.

The remote has a new battery in it but it needs to be next to the car for it to unlock the driver door and it does not unlock the passenger door even after doubling clicking the button, the interior lights do not come on when any of the doors open, yes it is set to turn on when the doors open. Could this be a problem with the CCM under the driverside carpet. The stock indash cd player will accepts cds sometimes and the voulume button if you turn it up too fast will lower the volume instead or mute it. Cruise control light comes on but doesn't engage and the power mirrors don't adjust.

I replaced the 15 amp fuse and it 'blew' shortly after turning on the ignition. I have not been able to find a thread or anything yet on the web that states what the fuse 'protects'. I have attached a pic below.

2002 Passat.jpg

Thanks in advance for the input!!!
Christopher

·
Registered
9,836 Posts
Do any windows operate in any way ?
What other electric items on the car don't operate ?
You need to get a full VCDS or similar scan and post results.

It looks like you have a problem with the floor harnesses and grounds or the CCM, you can get this fault without water ingress.
Unwrap and repair floor harnesses and grounds, you don't need to remove the seat.

Have a good look at these links.

NOTE: The car in this DIY is UK RHD.
VW Passat Comfort Control Module harness repair | HeadFUZZ

http://www.passatworld.com/forums/61-b5-information-base/230249-water-ingress-solutions.html

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do any windows operate in any way ?
What other electric items on the car don't operate ?
You need to get a full VCDS or similar scan and post results.

It looks like you have a problem with the floor harnesses and grounds or the CCM, you can get this fault without water ingress.
Unwrap and repair floor harnesses and grounds, you don't need to remove the seat.

Have a good look at these links.

NOTE: The car in this DIY is UK RHD.
VW Passat Comfort Control Module harness repair | HeadFUZZ

http://www.passatworld.com/forums/61-b5-information-base/230249-water-ingress-solutions.html
The car made it back into my hands this weekend and I pulled the CCM. The CCM looks to be in great shape, I will check the ground in the morning but from the visual inspection its highly unlikely to be a problem. Pics to follow.

The latest electrical problems is the fob range, the unlock/lock button on the driverside, the switch to move the mirrors does not work and the radio volume when I try to turn it up the volume, it lowers the volume before it raises it. Fuses, all check out good.

The latest mechanical issues is vacuum leaks (in the process of fixing). CEL was producing codes P0300, P0301, P0302, P0304. Burned a 1/4 tank of gas over 60 miles. Not sure if the excess fuel burning is due to leaks in vacuum lines or not.

Thoughts anyone??????????????

P.S. Still trying to identify the fuse in the above pic.

·
Registered
9,836 Posts
Do the interior lights work with their switches ?

The interior lights and locking problems, could be caused by a faulty CCM, but are much more likely to be corroded splices in the floor harnesses, see links in post #2.
The short range of the remote is probably a fault in the antenna connections to T15/10 & T15/7 at the CCM, could also be a faulty remote or remote battery.

Regarding the 15A fuse, I don't have a listing. There must be something not operating, what doesn't work ?

Do a full scan and post the codes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Do the interior lights work with their switches ?

The interior lights and locking problems, could be caused by a faulty CCM, but are much more likely to be corroded splices in the floor harnesses, see links in post #2.
The short range of the remote is probably a fault in the antenna connections to T15/10 & T15/7 at the CCM, could also be a faulty remote or remote battery.

Regarding the 15A fuse, I don't have a listing. There must be something not operating, what doesn't work ?

Do a full scan and post the codes.[/QUOTE

I have only seen the rear seat on the driver side light come on when the car door is open the driver side and middle light come on when the switched is pushed to the left manually, will not activate with the car door open and the front passenger light only comes on when the button is pressed . I don't believe the cruise control works.

We did a full scan and the issues that came up was the above mentioned 'P'codes, brake booster (connector was disconnected), bank 1 sensor 1 (maybe caused by vacuum leaks).

How and where do I check the antenna connections to T15/10 & T15/7 at the CCM?

DSC01805.jpg DSC01806.jpg DSC01807.jpg DSC01808.jpg DSC01809.jpg DSC01810.jpg

The ground is good, I checked it from the harness to a bolt behind the dash by the fuses.

·
Registered
9,836 Posts
T15 is the 15 pin connector on the CCM, the aerial connects to pin #10 and its shield connects to pin #7, the other end of the cable is the aerial, it has a definite length of shield stripped off.
It goes into the door pillar and doesn't connect to anything.

The codes you listed are only engine misfire codes, these could be caused by a vacuum leak among many other things.

You need to scan it with VCDS (VAG-COM), or similar (Must be able to scan VAG codes).

I suggest you get a VCDS (VAG-COM) scanner which is a very useful tool for diagnosing many types of faults.

VCDS-Lite Unregistered will read all codes in all your scannable modules, and perform some tests and procedures.
You will need the registered version to do a TBA etc.
For more info on functions Etc.

You can buy an interface like this OBD2 VAG-COM USB Cable Scanner Audi VW, on eBay for about $10.00.
NOTE: I do not recommend this or any particular one, but most seem to work well.
I suggest you DO NOT use the software supplied on CD with the cable, these are old and restricted, and many have Viruses.
(This connects to the OBDII Port in the car, and to a PC or Laptop Etc. running Windows)
Then download the VCDS-Lite, FREE software (or registered software for $99). From:

Ross-Tech: VCDS-Lite
They also supply interface cables with full versions of VCDS from $249.00.

Or someone might be willing to scan it for you.
Just enter your zip code and it should give you the closest person and their contact information.

VWVortex.com - Vag-Com Locator searchable map style! Owners pm me your info requested in the thread

1 - 7 of 7 Posts