Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2002 GLX Wagon w/ Michelin OEM 205/55/16. Looking to replace tires because of wear/age 38k and starting to slip on wet pavement. I've moved from SoCal to TN and expect to drive in light snow, lots of rain. I like the Bridgestone 950's H rated , good reviews and a great deal @ Costco. My main question is size. From searching looks like popular upgrade is 225/50/16; What does the 225/50/16 buy me on the 16x7 rim? any better traction or grip? It's our family kind of car w/ a little spirited driving from my husband when the kids aren't around. I'm kinda freaked about driving in snow being a lifelong SoCal - Az driver.

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
The wider footprint will give better lateral stability (steering response and cornering stability). Your husband will appreciate the extra width for his spirited driving. Also, you may want to consider the Bridgestone Turanza for better snow traction. The RE950 is an excellent tire but it does sacrifice quite a bit of snow traction.

·
Banned
1,324 Posts
225 should be fine, but you may want to go a little narrower depending on how much snow you'll be driving in... a smaller contact patch in the snow translates to better grip...

of course the wider the contact patch in the dry will enhance stability and cornering...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.