Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

2002 GLX 4Mo Wagon Fuel Pump Location

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  VWPassat2003 
#1 ·
Car turns over but won't start after running fine the day before, so I figured the 1st thing I'd check is that the fuel pump is getting power. Except I'm not seeing what I see in every YouTube video and other posts on this forum. There should be an access cover for it behind the passenger side rear seat, right? Instead, there is a hatch behind the rear seats slightly to the driver's side of center (photos attached). Under that hatch there are no fuel lines, and the plug only has 2 wires, blue and black, and by their gauge I'm guessing this is a sending unit and not a fuel pump...so what am I missing here?

Thanks!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
When checking for power, use a load (standard 55W headlight bulb for example) rather than just your DVM. The reason is that there could be high resistance in the circuit, say dirty relay contacts, but low in comparison to your meter's resistance, so you would be fooled into thinking everything was OK. Using the light bulb provides evidence whether the circuit is good or not.

#4 ·
The 4mo fuel pump is under the bottom seat cushion of the passenger side back seat. There is a level sensor under the driver's side back seat cushion. The pump should only be removed when there is less than 1/4 tank of fuel as it is below the fuel level until that point. The FWD fuel pump is in trunk/hatch area.

#5 ·
The fuel pump can be checked electrically from the fuse box. Fuse 28 (fuel pump) is the last thing in the circuit before the fuel pump, i.e. downstream of the fuel pump relay, etc.

With key off, measure the resistance (with respect to ground) at fuse 28. One side (right, probably) of the fuseholder should measure just a few ohms, the motor resistance. If it doesn't, the pump has probably failed (it's a know failure point).

With the key on and cranking, you should measure voltage at fuse 28. (You can measure with the fuse installed with a fine point probe.) If no voltage, you could have a faulty fuel pump relay, etc.

Given your symptoms, also check the crankshaft position sensor (CPS), another known failure point. If the ECM doesn't see a crank signal it doesn't fire the injectors or plugs.
Testing is simple: crank for 5+ seconds continuously and the injectors and plugs will fire anyway and the car will run. The EPC light comes on and the idle will be higher than usual.

#6 ·
Hello after reading your reply's and not being a auto genius you are saying I should have 12vdc at fuse 28 with the key on . If so relay is probably ok .
My vehicle is 2003 passat glx 4 motion v6 2.8l. My gauge cover is in the trunk. I opened it up it has 2 wires and no hoses this must be the gas gauge. So the pump must be under the passenger back seat. I cracked the fuel line at the engine cranked and no fuel.

#7 ·
Well I started removing the old fuel pump today . All was going well until I went to remove the out line that is tucked back in. No way to get your hand in there to squeeze the connector and the part to squeeze was up and down VS side to side.Fought it most of the day with all kinds of tools. Finally had to knife the thing out of there. There must be a special VW tool for the job. Couldn't find anything. Persistence pays off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.