Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

2002 4 motion brake booster vacuum pump not working

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  50harleyrider 
#1 ·
I checked the pump unplugged with 12 v and it runs fine. Relay 373 in the 13 relay box and its' fuse are fine. Is there a module for the pump somewhere that could be bad? if anyone out there could send me a wiring diagram of the pump and its control would be great.

#2 ·
Does it not come on at all or did you get a code for it? I had one that threw a code on a 1.8T, but it worked fine. Found a bad vac line where the braided hose attached to the hard plastic line just past the coolant tank. It runs to the LDP (and vacuum reservoir if you don't have the blue tank under the driver's side headlight). It caused constant low vacuum which the system though was a bad pump.

#4 ·
No luck. Still getting the open circuit fault. have replaced the pump and the vacuum sensor with known good units, verified the fuse and the relay are working but fault code keeps popping up. measuring block 8 in VAG shows pump activation but pump not running which trips the fault code. there are only 2 wires to my pump so I think the J542 module exists somewhere but where? Don't think it's integrated in the pump like the jettas so back to my post 1.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.