Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am giving up and getting rid of this car. I live in a rural area and no one wants to work on it and I cannot afford to putz around with it anymore. The car does run, but the idle is really rough and if you try to drive it, it shudders really bad and has no power. The CEL is flashing so it has been parked.

The body is still in good shape, a couple of nicks, a scrape on the back bumper and a scratch about the lenght of my finger in the paint on the trunk. This would be a solid project car and heck for all I know, there is a simple solution to it's problems, I am just too fed up to deal with anymore.

I do not know a lot of "car talk" so if anyone has questions, make them simple please! I can email pictures or try to post them on here later on.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The coils have all been replaced within the last year and a half. I did have the mechanic look at them to see if they were bad again and he said they were fine, as were the plugs and wires. He cleaned the fuel injectors and that did not help.

I've already bought a different car so I'm trying to get rid of this one. I just think it would be a good car for someone who knows VWs and their issues. The offers I get locally are for using it as a demolition derby car. Which is beginning to sound more and more like the right idea.

·
is a sweetheart
3,056 Posts
Your profile says Russell Kansas and a quick search for auto parts on Google Maps shows a CarQuest in down town Russell and an Advanced Auto Parts one town over in Hays. Either of these two places should be able to read the codes for you or even possibly loan out the code scanner if you can't get the car to the store. And if you can't get the car to the store you can probably find a basic code scanner at one of the stores for probably around $50 (and then sell on eBay for nearly full price after you're done with it). Once you have the codes I guarantee there is someone on this site that can tell you what is going on with your motor. Good luck and let us know what happens.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
A flashing CEL is always related to a misfire on a VW

Other possibility that I recently ran into is a cracked head right between two of the intake valves on #2. Was letting a little water leak into the combustion chamber and exhibit the same problems as a bad coil pack. A simple compression check (along with water blowing out of #2 with the plug removed) confirmed diagnosis.

Wish I were closer too.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I did have it scanned. The mechanic that scanned it said it reported "multiple misfires" Um, yeah, I knew that. He said his thing wasn't sophisticated enough to dianose it any more specific.

I will try to post some pictures, but it won't be for a couple of days. I'm having a week from heck at work and am about ready to pull my hair out. I assume you can post pics here from photobucket?

I put over $1100 into this thing last fall, desludging the engine and it has only had synthetic since then. It does leak a bit of oil, or use it, not sure. I had to put a half quart in every 2 or 3 weeks or so. The drivers side cv boot thingy needs to be redone, AGAIN! This will be the third time for that. The tires are almost new, bought in February of this year. Not anything special or fancy, but still only about 6,000 miles on them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.