Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need help, so for starters ive had my 01' Passat for about a year and was wondering if i should get a transmission fluid change because its never had one. another reason why I'm thinking I need a fluid change is because the car takes a little longer to shift, and when pressing on the brakes and coming to a stop it feels like the trans rolls back and has to come back to itself before i start going again if that makes sense. thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
mileage ?, engine ? would be of help............. but generally, and as a rule of thumb for many, checking the transmission fluid soon after purchase would be/been prudent. Not sure exactly what you mean "rolls back", regardless. Two things you need to research, "transmission fluid check, filter and fill", there is a prescribed method to do this and not following it is a waste of money and time, and will leave you worse than you might be now, simple enough but has to be done exactly as outlined, I would also take a looksie at the conditions in the TCM environment for water ingress at some point and connections and wire corrosion, maybe nothing,but should be at least looked at given the fact that it is 20 years old. Good news is ,you are at/in the correct forum to answer your questions and offer help.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mileage ?, engine ? would be of help............. but generally, and as a rule of thumb for many, checking the transmission fluid soon after purchase would be/been prudent. Not sure exactly what you mean "rolls back", regardless. Two things you need to research, "transmission fluid check, filter and fill", there is a prescribed method to do this and not following it is a waste of money and time, and will leave you worse than you might be now, simple enough but has to be done exactly as outlined, I would also take a looksie at the conditions in the TCM environment for water ingress at some point and connections and wire corrosion, maybe nothing,but should be at least looked at given the fact that it is 20 years old. Good news is ,you are at/in the correct forum to answer your questions and offer help.
my bad forgot to add that it has approx. 219000 miles on it, and its a 2,8L V6 engine. and I didn't really mean that it rolls back but it like stalls for a second when coming to a full stop then kick in to gear? if that makes sense. and I can definitely research that asap, but what is this TCM environment you're talking about? sorry just a bit new to this stuff.

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
The TCM environment cchief22 is referring to is the condition of the TCM underneath the passengers side carpet just forward of the front seat.
Our cars are known to have what is called water ingress.
The TCM (and CCM - left side of car) gets submerged in water and are prone to moisture damage from unchecked water ingress issues.

There are drains tubes at the four corners of the sunroof, these tend to leak and or overflow from debris building up in the drain tubes causing water to flow down along the A pillar and underneath the carpet. The carpet in our cars has a sound deadening and fireproof layer underneath and is about 2 to 3 inches thick and can hold literally gallons of water completely undetected.

Prolonged exposure to moisture and or being submerged in water will attack (corrode) the wiring, connections and possibly the circuit board inside the CCM causing strange behavior and hard to solve transmission issues.

Reactions: 13ish

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
Water can also enter into the footwells from the battery area under the hood. There is a drain that commonly gets clogged up with leaves, sticks and other such debris from climatic events that will cause water to fill up in the battery area and flow into the car interior. Either through brake vacuum booster mounting point, the ECU box and or from the cabin filter housing.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
after seeing mileage , I would definitely do a transmission "service" new filter and fluid, the 7 "Ps" apply to doing it ; prior proper planning prevents piss poor performance. Plenty of info on doing it on this forum, not technically hard at all, but just has to be done "by the book". Probably not TCM related but a worthy candidate of checking for water ingress, I am leaning on a "low fluid" diagnosis.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
after seeing mileage , I would definitely do a transmission "service" new filter and fluid, the 7 "Ps" apply to doing it ; prior proper planning prevents piss poor performance. Plenty of info on doing it on this forum, not technically hard at all, but just has to be done "by the book". Probably not TCM related but a worthy candidate of checking for water ingress, I am leaning on a "low fluid" diagnosis.
checked and there was no water in the footwell, also would it be better for me to just take my car in and get my transmission serviced.. fluid etc. or would it be better to learn how to do it on my own? don't want to mess up anything

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,394 Posts
checked and there was no water in the footwell, also would it be better for me to just take my car in and get my transmission serviced.. fluid etc. or would it be better to learn how to do it on my own? don't want to mess up anything
If you can change your own engine oil, you can do this. More of a chance of a shop screwing it up and taking no responsibility than you doing it right. It's not hard. It's just gotta be by the book.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts