Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
5,886 Posts
...and loosen cam gears you have to loosen gears.
I think that the essence of you text is that the OP should use the correct timing tools for the 30V 2.8.

You will need an appropriate puller to get the sprockets loose, but the cam bolts can remain threaded on, so the sprocket and puller don't fall off as it releases. The 2.8 V6 has a very long timing belt, so timing marks as used on the 1.8T would be unlikely to give identical timing to both banks in relation to the crank. Some other V6 engines use timing marks, but generally those are 60 degree-bank engines, with much shorter belts.

As to using the engine timing as-is: if you are content with how it runs, there is probably no harm in that.

· Registered
5,886 Posts
"Excuse me? Please explain the recipe for disaster? I do these 2.8,2.7,1.8,2.0 with my eyes closed"

"So it’s ok to drive a car around with bad timing? I’d like to tell my customers that"
Skullkz, I have a suspicion that if PZ says something is a recipe for disaster, it probably is. Also, read all the posts again; nobody said anything about driving a car with 'bad timing' being OK. I prefer to time mine as precisely as the special tools allow, but no doubt millions of timing belts are changed by the old mark-paint match-paint method, without regard to timing marks or where TDC is.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.