Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'm trying to install the front left and right CV axles on my 2001 Passat.
Both upper arm control bolts are FROZEN and I can't get an impact wrench in the tight spot to shock the bolt loose.

I need to get these bolts out so I can swing the arms over to remove the old axles. I sprayed the bolts with PB blaster etc and tried applying some heat with no luck.

When I try using a ratchet to turn the bolt it felt like it was going to snap. I don’t want to do that.

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Thank you.

·
In reverse, but chained to a tree.
13,928 Posts
v6 and 1.8t both require no removal of CA's. you can swing the inner CV joint around up in there and easily slide the snout of the outer joint pretty easily.heat shield does have to be removed.

the reason there is no difference is because this is around the transmission, nothing to do with the engine.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow! Thanks.

I didn't realize you could remove the axle without taking the pin out of te CA. I was just following those direction from tailgentx.com at the start and it sounded like you needed to take those out. And by the way, the nut and bolt on my CA is 16MM not 10MM as stated in the tailgent instructions.

I have a V6. Thank goodness I won't have to remove the CR. Last night a friend gave me a vial of KROIL to lube the CR's so they would loosen up after a few days. He said that's the best!

OK so your saying I can do this without removing the CA's? I'll give it a shot.

Thank you,

Jagrunner

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank YOU!!!!!!!

SIPS216,

Your are correct! Out with the bad axle in with the good in 1 hr!!!! You saved me TONS of work.

I think that document could maybe be misleading but don't know for sure but like you said, I didn't have to dislodge the CA's.

WOW!!!

Thank you,

Jagrunner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts