Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2001 VW passat that had an accident a month ago. It hit a very large rock and the sump drained all the oi; and the car immediately went off. we towed it to the garage, had the sump replaced but now the Check engine light won't come on and the car can crank but won't start. please assist

·
2004 B5.5 Variant 1.8T
23,586 Posts
Most people complain that light won’t turn off. CEL won’t come on until you have a running problem. Your problem is that it won’t run.

There are plenty of reasons that it won’t run, but no info other than you may have ruined it when it got to the point of it shutting down from oil starvation. Did you check oil pressure and compression?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Most people complain that light won’t turn off. CEL won’t come on until you have a running problem. Your problem is that it won’t run.

There are plenty of reasons that it won’t run, but no info other than you may have ruined it when it got to the point of it shutting down from oil starvation. Did you check oil pressure and compression?

Oil pressure seems to be ok, but we did't check on compression. however, before the accident, when you put the ingnition on on, all the lights would come on temporarily for a couple of seconds then would all go off so you can crank it. but now all the lights but CEL come on,

·
2004 B5.5 Variant 1.8T
23,586 Posts
Ok well that was not apparent from the original post. Scanned the ecu for codes at all? Any lights on like ABS/ESP?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
If the check engine light doesn't come on when you first turn the key, the LED or related circuitry has probably failed, as unlikely as that seems. Usually it's because someone covered the LED with electrical tape, but that seems not to be the case here.

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
There are plenty of reasons that it won’t run, but no info other than you may have ruined it when it got to the point of it shutting down from oil starvation.
For anyone here to assist, there has to be some information to go on, besides that it cranks but doesn't start. The garage that the car was towed to: is that a repair shop, or just your personal parking garage?

·
Registered
26,634 Posts
Was there any other damaged? Radiator, condensor or wiring? Torn wires under the bumper?

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
what engine do you have in the car 1.8, 2.8 or some other variation ? and engine model number would help. I assume that when you say "sump" you mean the oil pan ? Was there an oil sensor attached to the pan ?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts