Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
This can happen if the clutch is not fully disengaged. I'd first try bleeding the slave cylinder. Especially if the clutch has recently been worked on.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,623 Posts
Did it grind like this before clutch was serviced or replaced?
Did you keep the stock dual mass clutch set-up?
Did you replace all of the parts as a kit (flywheel, throw-out bearing, clutch disc, input shaft support bearing, slave cylinder) or some but not all?

I know these are more questions but this info would be good to know to make a sound diagnoses.

Right off the top, it sounds as though the clutch is not fully releasing which in turn is not allowing the syncros to line up for a proper smooth shift.

Reactions: VAGguy

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did not grind prior to new clutch flywheel, preassure plate kept stock dual mass set up. Slave cylinder is original to car (88,000)miles. The clutch kit was a lutz so what ever came with it from Rock Auto as far as input shaft bearing i doubt it? Slave cylinder was never bled for i am original owner! This grinding just started to happen and i am the only driver summer only for car has never seen snow or very little rain.

·
Registered
7,623 Posts
The easiest and cheapest first step is to try bleeding the clutch circuit.
Remember on the Passat, the fluid for the clutch comes from the brake reservoir and a full reservoir is needed as to not introduce any air into the clutch circuit.
See what that does.

How does the clutch pedal feel? Is the clutch pedal all the way up?
Passat clutches are susceptible to have a low pedal from air entering the system and causing reduced pedal travel. This type of scenario can happen with no evidence of any fluid leakage.
This symptom is usually caused by a misaligned hydraulic line (metal hydraulic line) from the clutch master cylinder to clutch slave cylinder.

I have heard of people having issues when the transmission was reattached to the back of the engine, the pushrod that goes from the slave cylinder into the throw-out bearing fork isn't set into it's recessed area causing improper clutch movement.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The easiest and cheapest first step is to try bleeding the clutch circuit.
Remember on the Passat, the fluid for the clutch comes from the brake reservoir and a full reservoir is needed as to not introduce any air into the clutch circuit.
See what that does.

How does the clutch pedal feel? Is the clutch pedal all the way up?
Passat clutches are susceptible to have a low pedal from air entering the system and causing reduced pedal travel. This type of scenario can happen with no evidence of any fluid leakage.
This symptom is usually caused by a misaligned hydraulic line (metal hydraulic line) from the clutch master cylinder to clutch slave cylinder.

I have heard of people having issues when the transmission was reattached to the back of the engine, the pushrod that goes from the slave cylinder into the throw-out bearing fork isn't set into it's recessed area causing improper clutch movement.
Clutch is fully up and does not bind but grabs high!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts