Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone id this 'plug' part? It is located on the passenger side - just aft of the half-shaft mount. It is plastic - held by two Torx bolts - the center plug cap broke - popped open - long spring inside. Slight smell of gear oil - no leak. The car is up for a new exhaust system - but now this bit has gone wonky and needs replacing. Any id form anyone?

·
Registered
55 Posts
It’s the locking unit for 5th and reverse gear

I have one in stock and can ship it out tomorrow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
345 Posts
Interesting, I always wondered what it was, sitting there under a heat shield. Seems like I've had to fix or replace everything else on these cars, multiple times, but that thing never needs any attention.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It’s the locking unit for 5th and reverse gear

I have one in stock and can ship it out tomorrow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, that looks like the part - mine was quite brittle - might pay to get a new one from the dealer. If you have a PN stenciled on that would be great info. If not I'm going to take out the remaining bit on my son's car and see if I can find a new one.

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
Huh, the OP is a brand new member and he's already posting pictures like a pro, discovered ECS Tuning and posting in the right forum. Oh my.
I must admit, I'm thoroughly impressed.

Keep up the fine work woodheat. (y)

Reactions: woodheat and PZ

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Huh, the OP is a brand new member and he's already posting pictures like a pro, discovered ECS Tuning and posting in the right forum. Oh my.
I must admit, I'm thoroughly impressed.

Keep up the fine work woodheat. (y)
Thank you very much - we've gotten a lot of great info from Passat World over the years - first time i had a question I could not find from browsing the forums.

<< Continuation of this thread >>

We repaired the part (the new one had to come from germany - wow) - but when we replaced it into the trans now the car will not go into reverse. So thoughts are - some procedure is needed to replace - like perhaps you have to be in reverse first - or rotate the part or some such.

Anybody know the process to replace the part?

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,471 Posts
Download the service manual from my Google drive and go to page 9375 for installation.
Yes, the document has over 10,000 pages!

By the way, It contains tons of other helpful files and part listings (ETKA) OEM VW Part Numbers (ETKA)!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you VAGuy - from the page referenced we see that when we replaced the spring it was loaded backwards - so disassembly of the lock and a reload to the left should do the trick. Never would have figured that out without the manual references! Now we'll get to it later today and see if reverse gear is available again - thanks!

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,471 Posts
Glad we could help!

Reactions: woodheat

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
After action report - we removed the lock - reversed the spring mechanism (take out the plunger and load the spring in the opposite direction - and voila - the reverse is back - and fifth lockout (no direct shift from 5th to reverse) is also good. - thank you all!

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,471 Posts
Hi - I like the B5.5 manual you shared here - do you have similar for B6 2007 sedan?
I do not. I happened upon it during an internet search one day.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts