Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just saw a 2001 A6 2.7T with 55,800 miles at a near by mom & pop type used car dealer. Their asking price is $17,500, and I just looked up blue book and it's around $25K. There is a quarter size scratch by the rear door bumper strip, other than that paint & body appear in good condition.

A relative is in the market for a pre-owned car, and he might be interested if this A6 @ $17,500 is a good value. Also I have the VIN on this car, anyone with carfax ?

TIA

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
I don;t have a CarFax but that is one helluva good price. You can call Audi USA and find out who the originating dealer is and call in to see if they can give you verbal service history on the car.

This way you can find out what if any maintenances and recalls have been completed. Audi can also tell you if there are any outstanding recalls or campaigns on the car.

That price is almost so low that I would really look hard for something by doing the above to CYA. Otherwise, it might just be a steal and something you don;t want to pass up.

The timing belt will need to be replaced by about 70K miles, ECS sells a full kit for about $250. There is also going to be a recall or campaing this summer because of some dashboard fires. I think the letters go out in July.

Check out the A6 forums on audiworld.com, not the best place, but there are some knowledgeable folks on there.

·
Registered
338 Posts
vuvision said:
We just saw a 2001 A6 2.7T with 55,800 miles at a near by mom & pop type used car dealer. Their asking price is $17,500, and I just looked up blue book and it's around $25K. There is a quarter size scratch by the rear door bumper strip, other than that paint & body appear in good condition.

A relative is in the market for a pre-owned car, and he might be interested if this A6 @ $17,500 is a good value. Also I have the VIN on this car, anyone with carfax ?

TIA
That's a good deal if everything (read turbos) is in good working order. I love that car. It rolls like a ship in corners, but that is easily fixed. The 2.7T is an awesome motor, but the turbos can be problematic. I'd have it checked out and if all is well, jump on it.

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
One note of caution, if the turbos go, you have to remove the engine to replace them...BIG $$$$....

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sharky said:
Also the entire front end is suspect at that age/mileage.
Sharky, only wish that you are local so that you can check it out for me. My 02 B5.5 blue book is at $17,500, and this does sound too good to be true. I am taking it out for a test drive later today, will keep you guys posted.

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
vuvision said:
Sharky said:
Sharky, only wish that you are local so that you can check it out for me. My 02 B5.5 blue book is at $17,500, and this does sound too good to be true. I am taking it out for a test drive later today, will keep you guys posted.
You really ought to take it to an Audi dealer, or at least a VW dealer, and pay them a hour of labor with the explicit instructions to nit-pick the entire car.

When we do this, I scan it, put it on the lift, give it a really mean road test, etc. Then I make up my bitch sheet with parts and labor quotes to rectify any problem areas. We also pull up any and all warranty repair history. Works out great, and the prospective buyers have something to bargain with.

And the good part is, you've got it all on a VW or Audi dealer letterhead. So you've got these outrageous price quotes, and then because you're handy, you can go repair whatever we said it needed yourself and pocket the difference between what you saved DIY and what I quoted, and what you saved off the asking price of the car.

Can't beat it with a stick.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Sharky said:
vuvision said:
Sharky said:
You really ought to take it to an Audi dealer, or at least a VW dealer, and pay them a hour of labor with the explicit instructions to nit-pick the entire car.

When we do this, I scan it, put it on the lift, give it a really mean road test, etc. Then I make up my bitch sheet with parts and labor quotes to rectify any problem areas. We also pull up any and all warranty repair history. Works out great, and the prospective buyers have something to bargain with.

And the good part is, you've got it all on a VW or Audi dealer letterhead. So you've got these outrageous price quotes, and then because you're handy, you can go repair whatever we said it needed yourself and pocket the difference between what you saved DIY and what I quoted, and what you saved off the asking price of the car.

Ahh, the beauty of buying used automobiles. :D

Sharky is absolutely right. Take the car to an Audi dealer and pony up the $100 or so. It is money very well spent. A test drive really doesn't tell you much.

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Took the A6 out to near by twisties for some spirited driving. The car drove & sounded tight, handles like mad, gotta love the quattro. Much to my surprise, steering was so light in comparo to my B5.5, but I kinda like it for not having to exert too much effort on those short twisty roads.

After the ride, we parked the car and did a thorough inspection of the interior, and it was in pretty bad shape. The leather seats are dis-colored in many areas, the upholstery has many dingy & darken areas as if there were water leak. The radio buttons are falling apart, etc ...

On the exterior, there were multiple scratches & dings. Two were noticeably significant, the rear bumper got a dime size puncture hole, the rear right door got a long & deep scratch mark leading up to a quarter size gouging of the rubber strip.

Granted that it was a used car that we were looking at, but there were enough evidents that indicated to us that the previous owner did not take good care of this car. Especially the interior, it was pretty dingy and in bad shape. Oh yeah, I also checked the ash tray and the previous owner was definitely a smoker. Enough for us to walk away and didn't look back.

·
Registered
338 Posts
vuvision said:
Granted that it was a used car that we were looking at, but there were enough evidents that indicated to us that the previous owner did not take good care of this car. Especially the interior, it was pretty dingy and in bad shape. Oh yeah, I also checked the ash tray and the previous owner was definitely a smoker. Enough for us to walk away and didn't look back.
That's too bad. that price definitely takes this into account. Your right to walk, though, if you're not completely comfortable. Despite what many car sellers want you to think, there are a bazzillion cars out there for sale.

Are you hooked on the 2.7T now? All it took was one drive. If you liked the A6 2.7T, make sure you give an S4 a shot. Mmmmm.

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
cerev1 said:
Are you hooked on the 2.7T now? All it took was one drive. If you liked the A6 2.7T, make sure you give an S4 a shot. Mmmmm.
That was my first experience with the A6 2.7T, handles like it's on rail with 250 hp to boot, now I want one soo bad :cry: ... can't even imagine what the S4 is like.

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sharky said:

Disagreed ! ... VW dealer never over-charge their beloved customers by gouging them with outrageous price quotes.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
vuvision said:
Sharky said:

Disagreed ! ... VW dealer never over-charge their beloved customers by gouging them with outrageous price quotes.
Disagree with the disagreement, I found VW dealers charge fair prices, but they somehow find more things wrong with the vehicle than needed. "Uhh your rear rotars and pads are getting pretty worn, i think we should replace them" (said back in november and 10k miles ago, now they are going)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.