Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post in a couple years. I could not find much info on whats new in the 2004.5's.

I am about to trade in my 2001.5 1.8T GLS w/ Leather for a new 2004.5 1.8T w/ Leather. I also took a look at the Altima. Is there any difference between my 2001.5 and the 2004.5 that is worth noting. I know that the side blinkers are now intergrated into the mirrors. The dealers is offering me an amazing deal that I don't know if I can turn it down - but I want to at least do a little homework. My current passat has been great. The lights seem to burn out a lot, but they have changed them under warrenty. Other than some annoying rattles - it has been a great, fun car to drive.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
346 Posts
There are a lot of cosmetic differences. THe most important one being that alloy wheels are not standard any more on the entry level Passat. Do a thorough comparison of the exact model you are buying on the VW.com website to see what is included. Good luck. You should be able to get a great deal since I hear that demand is down for the passat because of the release of so many other newer redesigned cars. I've even heard that a W8 can be acquired for a price in the low 30's.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
The only differences that I know about reguarding the 2001.5 and the 2004.5 are the following:
Mirrors (now have integrated turn signals, side markers deleted)
Option of leatherette is now available for the interior
On Star is now Available
New set of wheels for the V6 cars (Not sure about this one, it was just a rumor)

I believe that is it. The car still LOOKS the same, and as far as I know, all parts are the same.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
VWPassatGLX155 said:
The only differences that I know about reguarding the 2001.5 and the 2004.5 are the following:
Mirrors (now have integrated turn signals, side markers deleted)
Option of leatherette is now available for the interior
On Star is now Available
New set of wheels for the V6 cars (Not sure about this one, it was just a rumor)

I believe that is it. The car still LOOKS the same, and as far as I know, all parts are the same.
New wheels for all models I think.

New color options for the interior and exterior.

Better coilpacks!!!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Just swapped out from one to the other, and so far I have noticed the following, assuming you are looking at a gls:
Rims are different. No more plastic caps covering the lug bolts; now you have a center plate w/ badge that is removable and better for balancing (less visible marks on rims)
Continental tires instead of michelins.
Mirrors smaller and with turn signals, and no side markers.
Floor mat fasteners are different (better) design.
In dash cd with more information..and seems louder somehow. (probably older change)
Air intake holes are blocked from direct air, which now comes up and under the hood (probably too much material blocking the slush screen -?-)(another older change)
Moonroof seems to be a different design with more settings.
No more twist knobs for the spare in the (variant) trunk.
Engine cover is insulated, vw emblem is grey and silver plastic.
More child carrier fasteners in the back seats.
Coolant is pink instead of orange.
If I find more stuff I'll post it. Hope this helps. :D

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Continental tires instead of michelins.
Both are standard. I got the Conti's on my 03 and others get the Michelins.
Air intake holes are blocked from direct air, which now comes up and under the hood
Mid 02 MY change.
Moonroof seems to be a different design with more settings.
Please verify - what is different, I'm curious to know.
Coolant is pink instead of orange
G12 is always pink - it will orange up as it ages.

All the others have basically said it, not much change, just some tweaking.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Well, these are the differences from my old '02, not sure exactly when all the running changes took place.
Also forgot to add the insulation on the engine cover.
The moonroof has more settings for the rear open position only, 3 if I can recall correctly.
Yeah not much change that I can tell. Didn't remember the color of the G12.

·
Registered
578 Posts
ESP has been improved. I now works a little bit more smoother and starts by braking easier (instead of braking with full power from the first moment).

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
some of these might be a repeat but here are some of the differences:

2004.5 has (verses 2001.5):
- cruise control light on dash.
- Onxy Black leather interior replaced with Anthacite leather (a dark charcoal grey).
- the beige leather interior is not so yellow.
- the guage bezels are polished chrome rather than brushed silver.
- interior trunk release lever added.
- Double DIN stereo with CD player.
- There are more exterior colors to choose from: Northern Green (replaces Pine Green), Wheat Beige (replaces Mojave Beige), Stonehenge Grey, Samoa Red, Shadow Blue (replaces Indigo Blue), and Blue Graphite (replaces Anthracite Grey).

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have made the switch from an 01.5 to an 04. Mine is an earlier model 04 and does not have the mirror turn signals. I went from grey to black leather but kept the Silverstone Grey exterior. I took advantage of a lease turn in program so I was able to end my lease 7 months early.

Except for the new car smell and the differences noted by other posters you feel like you're in the same car. Sort of takes the fun out of getting a new car but I have been happy with Passats. My first was a 98.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the info everyone.

Macsesso: I am also being offered an agressive early turn in deal. I have about 6 months left - they are paying that out (around $2K). They are then offering me the car for about $22,200. This is for a 1.8t, GLS Manual, Leather, ESP 2004.5 car. My current car is blue with gery interior - the new one would be black with grey interior. Wanted something different than blue and this was available on the lot. I know 5 speeds can be tough to find. Anyone want to comment whether that is a good deal? (They are throwing in the $500 loyalty money as part of a down payment)

Can anyone comment on the double DIN vs the single. I really think I will miss that slot - I put my sunglasses and other stuff in it! tazmo - what do you mean by the stereo has more information?

Also my first car did not have ESP - is that really worth the money?

·
Registered
897 Posts
That's a very good price. The double Din radio's buttons are bigger and more easy to use quickly. Plus you'll also have the radio controls on the steering wheel since you have the leather package. Since its a GLS you'll also have the Monsoon 200 watt sound system. You could install the New Bettle sunglasses holder where the driver's grab handle is (some Euro spec Passats come with it standard). Plus there's also a deep slot in the dash to the left of the wheel. ESP is worth it, I had a blow out at over 60 mph on the expressway and I think I owe ESP for making the car come to a stop without any drama. It was so cool how it worked. ESP also gives you Brake Assist which is not avaialble with the other non ESP equipped cars.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Don't confuse ESP with antilock brakes. ESP stands for Electronic Stability Program. It redistributes power from wheel that starts to slip to the wheels that have traction so you don't spin in turns, and applies brakes in certain manner to help the car turn if it starts to slip. It uses the ABS sensors, but it' a completely different animal. It is worth to have it especially in places where it rains or snows a lot.

·
Registered
95 Posts
hey quigs,
I just got the new 4mo on Wednesday, so I'm still getting used to the new radio. In short, it takes up the space that I thought I would miss also for stashing wallet, sunglasses, etc, but the new radio rocks!! The extra information was already in your old one, but you had to hit the fwd/bkwd button to see the cd info, which is always on on this one. Plus, a volume bar to see how far you are from max. You can program you volume in relation to sound/speed, but haven't dialed that in yet. There's probably more that I haven't discovered yet, but you will like the new setup.
Yes prices are good right now. We got the 4mo variant 5m/leather/esp/ silver for 23,180, after dealer loyalty, etc. Wasn't first color choice but was the only one off the boat that fit the criteria. For the short money esp seemed worth it, especially since we get loads of snow up here in NH. But look around if you're not entirely keen on black. Found plenty of 4mo's w/ the 1.8t w/esp but had velour seats. check liberty! Your dealer should be able to flatbed a passat for $500 from just about anywhere.
good luck with your new ride!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, I picked up my new 1.8t GLS Black, Leather, ESP last night. I got it for 21700 which included the $500 loyalty cash. I also got the 1.9% financing. I thought it was an excellent deal. The payment is less than my lease was for the same car 3 years ago.

Things I noticed right away driving home last night about the 2004.5. The side blinkers on the mirror grab your attention. They are bright - probably because I am not used to seeing a flashing yellow light out of the corner of my eye. The mirrors are a lot smaller. The dials and markings on the speedometer and RPM are a little different. There is also a black strip with crome on the botton the door opening where you get in. On my 2001.5 there was nothing and the paint has rubbed away from me getting in and out. Nice addition. The front seat also does not go back as far as my 2001.5 - I am 6'4" and notice this right away. I think it is one notch shorter (which I wish wasn't the case - need a mod for this). The new seats are also hard to get used to. I am sure I will like them in the long run, but the lumber support is stiffer - even with the lumber all the way in. I do like the more information on the double din stereo. The wood grain is done right - not too much - just enough.

Finally, the feel of the car driving is very different. Feels more responsive. The steering has zero lag in it - the slightest move turns you - this was not the case in my 2001.5 Might actually be very minor in difference but very noticable going from one to the other. The clutch is also softer. More peppy and stiffer ride - I guess this is the difference between a worn in Passat and a new one.

(It also has the continental tires and different rims than my older 1.8 GLS). I still have my 2001.5 car if anyone wants me to compare anything.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts