Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2001.5 Passat sedan just failed my state's annual inspection due to corrosion of the (2) rear license plate light bulbs. Actually, the entire trunk around the light bulb housing is rusted. The local dealer told me the rust warranty only overs rust from the "inside out", not surface rust. I've a request to meet the regional VW body person "when they come around again."

Anyone else experience this problem?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have the same problem on my 2001.5 1.8T Tip - massive rust due to NY weather and road salt.

I fixed mine prior to NYS inspection by just sanding the rust off the all the contacts - lights on! Yeah, it's a PITA but worth it not to be bothered by the State.

HTH

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
i've had a small rust spot on my hatch before i got to 20K miles... pisses me off. my '97 stratus hasn't rusted at all (yet) with 135K miles.

http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=75939&highlight=rust

the dealer said "perforation" only but didn't have anyone to look at it. the dealer has a body shop i could go to for confirmation but i'm sure mine won't be covered, which is lame. how can a car rust so fast without it being a painting problem?

a.s.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
thats weird, my 2001 B5 has seen 3 canadian winters and not one spot of rust yet :???:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.