Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
0 Posts
you may not this but the 2001 can be different from the 2004 passat, are your lights like this
98-2001.5

or 2001.5-current

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
The K means the color temperature of the light, not how bright the light is.

In general 4100K-4300K is the brightest - that is why OEM HIDs come in that color temperature. The higher the K becomes, the less bright your light beam will be. I have personal experience on this. I am now running on 4300K with my OEM HID projectors on my B5.

·
Banned
3,535 Posts
From VW 4.0L link above

Technically, color temperature refers to the temperature to which one would have to heat a theoretical "black body" source to produce light of the same visual color.

Some typical color temperatures are:

1500 k Candlelight

2680 k 40 W incandescent lamp

3000 k 200 W incandescent lamp

3200 k Sunrise/sunset

3400 k Tungsten lamp

3400 k 1 hour from dusk/dawn

5000-4500 k Xenon lamp/light arc

5500 k Sunny daylight around noon

5500-5600 k Electronic photo flash

6500-7500 k Overcast sky

9000-12000 k Blue sky

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
my bad guys i made a mistake what i meant was

let me put it like this have u ever seen a mercedes or bmw 7 series 2 cars behind u it is a very purple light and that is what i want i have projector headlights :thumbup: :thumbup: :b5:

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
The purple and blue come from the way the light refracts off of the projector, bending it at angles that produce the blue and purple spectrums. The light itself is completely white. Stare, not for long though, at a projecter xenon (audi, bmw, merc, etc) exactly level with your eyes,a nd the light will be bright white. start bobbing your head around, left right up down diagnol, etc, and you'll notice all those shades of blue and purple appearing and reappearing.

Another thing you could do, try this with your own B5.5 projectors. You'll notice the same trick with yours, except looking dead on will give you a yellower light (not to mention spots and a headache if you do it too much)

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
exoticimportz123 said:
ok some one answer me what is my best bet for hid's i want ones that give me the purple light what k should i get

be serious
If you are really looking for the ultra violet light output check out this site:
www.proxenon.com
Here is the color chart that they have:

I've seen the ultra violet purple one's on an M3 and on a suburban and they look sweet. Those are the only one's and you'd for damn sure stand out w/ those.
If someone was to give me $600 bucks I'd buy them.
Anyone...? :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts