Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
This is bad advice, but I guess that doesn't matter much, as the thread is over 5 years old.
Yeah it's really terrible advice for absolutely zero reason you can provide and at the same time is exactly the solution to my current problem on my 04 passat. It's how you identify the problem is in fact the fuel pump... car will not start, tap the tank while starting it, because the vibration will allow it to temporarily start. Problem identified as fuel pump and is an easy replacement which doesn't require a trip to the dealership.

Last place you want an older VW is a dealership. I had my timing belt replaced along with all of the associated parts, like the pulley and oil cooler. Cost me over $2,000.00. They never actually replaced the pully they charged me for or the oil cooler. In April my head gasket blew and took it to the VW dealership for repair again since I figured would be easier.

They tried to rip me off and steal my passat by claiming there's a "catastrophic engine failure" without identifying anything that was wrong with it at all specifically. Cost me $153.00 for the bogus "report" and they even tried to claim that the damage was so severe that it couldn't be rebuilt, my only options were to either buy a new engine for $12,000.00 or they could offer me a 2015 Passat for $14,000.00 after their "trade in value" for mine.

They didn't even want to give me my car back and made an excuse to hold it for a day. Turns out it was because they tried to put in the timing belt pulley that I paid for but they never installed. When I showed up with my friends tow truck and demanded my car, they only had time to install the oil cooler I paid for already.

Cost me $1,500.00 to get the head gasket replaced and the engine is perfectly fine. Fuel pump and assembly cost $100.00 and I can fix it on my own. Best part of everything that happened was learning the dealership isn't trustworthy and isn't actually doing the repairs I paid for.

Please feel free to elaborate on why my proven advice is as you say "bad", as I can use a good laugh.

·
Registered
9,385 Posts
Yeah it's really terrible advice for absolutely zero reason you can provide and at the same time is exactly the solution to my current problem on my 04 passat. It's how you identify the problem is in fact the fuel pump... car will not start, tap the tank while starting it, because the vibration will allow it to temporarily start. Problem identified as fuel pump and is an easy replacement which doesn't require a trip to the dealership.

Last place you want an older VW is a dealership. I had my timing belt replaced along with all of the associated parts, like the pulley and oil cooler. Cost me over $2,000.00. They never actually replaced the pully they charged me for or the oil cooler. In April my head gasket blew and took it to the VW dealership for repair again since I figured would be easier.

They tried to rip me off and steal my passat by claiming there's a "catastrophic engine failure" without identifying anything that was wrong with it at all specifically. Cost me $153.00 for the bogus "report" and they even tried to claim that the damage was so severe that it couldn't be rebuilt, my only options were to either buy a new engine for $12,000.00 or they could offer me a 2015 Passat for $14,000.00 after their "trade in value" for mine.

They didn't even want to give me my car back and made an excuse to hold it for a day. Turns out it was because they tried to put in the timing belt pulley that I paid for but they never installed. When I showed up with my friends tow truck and demanded my car, they only had time to install the oil cooler I paid for already.

Cost me $1,500.00 to get the head gasket replaced and the engine is perfectly fine. Fuel pump and assembly cost $100.00 and I can fix it on my own. Best part of everything that happened was learning the dealership isn't trustworthy and isn't actually doing the repairs I paid for.

Please feel free to elaborate on why my proven advice is as you say "bad", as I can use a good laugh.
I could never do anywhere near as good of a job as you have just done, to demonstrate your incompetence.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I could never do anywhere near as good of a job as you have just done, to demonstrate your incompetence.
I think you've done a tremendous job of it, still no reason as to why what I've suggested is such a bad thing at all, because it's not and you can't provide a logical reason.

It takes a minute at best, causes zero damage, if it works and the vehicle starts, it's a faulty fuel pump and you saved yourself hundreds of dollars in fees at the dealership replacing things you don't need to.

If it doesn't start, well you've lost nothing but a minutes worth of time. All you seem to have is a desire for my attention and anger that I've provided this handy information.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts