Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Passat is leaking coolant it is not overheating but it is smoking once it gets hot from the engine bay because it is burning the antifreeze, can't seem to find it, I see its leaking from the bottom not from the top here are some pics of where it is leaking at, thanks this is my daily so if I can get it fixed quickly would be best thank u very much.
IMG_20200406_140347.jpg
IMG_20200406_140345.jpg

·
in dire need of an organic chemistry lesson
2,547 Posts
Based on the pix you posted I believe your water pump is leaking. But check the thermostat housing as well.

·
Registered
26,966 Posts
If you are parking on a flat area (side to side), it is likely the water pump. If you park with the passenger side much higher, it could be the thermostat. There are also several small hoses in that area running to the oil cooler and metal pipes that could also be leaking.
The water pump runs off of the timing belt on the V6, so you do not want to wait too long for repair.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The passanger side is probably 30-40 percent higher than driver's side, it is not flat ground at all, could I replace thermostat and water pump without replacing timing belt

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
The passanger side is probably 30-40 percent higher than driver's side, it is not flat ground at all, could I replace thermostat and water pump without replacing timing belt
You could.:unsure:
But that would be just foolishness.
To get at the thermostat and or water pump, the timing belt has to come off anyways.
If the timing belt has at least 50k miles on it, now would be the time to do it.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Best to get a pressure tester on it then look and listen for the leak. A mechanics mirror and bright flashlight will come in handy if the leak isn't obvious.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts