Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a few opinions...

I just picked up a 2000 GLS V6 with 48000 miles. I plan to replace the timing belt before 60000 but the serpentine belt needs to be replaced now. Should I do the timing belt as well, or just the serp for now?

Thanks,
Jeff

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Just the serpentine belt. It's nowhere near the labor involved. You won't be saving significantly on labor, and 48k is quite early for timing belt replacement. Replacing the serpentine belt doesn't involve much labor at all, and no parts removal.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Timing belt interval on your V6 should be 75K miles. There is a red sticker located under the hood near the driver's headlight that confirms this. Sooner then 60K might be a bit premature.

·
Registered
320 Posts
ditto rpaller. interval for the "toothed belt" aka timing belt is 75k as read on the red sticker in our 2000 glx variant 4motion. but you might want to check the belt to make sure it is ok.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Dealer and manual says 105K miles.
Too much risk with that recommendation. Stick with the sticker that was placed under the hood by the assembly workers. I bet VWOA made that recommendation to the dealers and printed the manual for American/Canadian markets.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds good. Gonna go with the plugs, filters and a serp this weekend. Then I'll do the timing belt after 60K.

How hard is it to just check the timing belt? I have a Haynes manual and will probably order a Bentley soon. Wanted to wait for the new one in April. Should the tb tensioners be replaced? I've seen some places that say to replace them at 40K.

Thanks for the help,
Jeff

1 - 7 of 7 Posts