Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

2000 V6, humming sound when turning the steering wheel

2K views 25 replies 6 participants last post by  Jadran 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

I bought my 2000 passat couple of weeks ago. Last few mornings have been very cold in Maryland (in the 20s). My car is creating some sort of a humming sound when I turn the steering wheel. It only happens in the morning, while the car is still cold. If I drive in the afternoon (when the temp comes to upper 30s/lower 40s, there is no sound or it's much more quiet).

Any idea what could be causing this?

Thanks,

Jay

#3 ·
is the power steering fluid reservoir full? is it possible that it is low (prior to expanding due to warming up)?
remember, this is a mineral oil-based fluid - do NOT use regular power steering fluid.

#13 ·
Jadran said:
I'm in Salisbury, Eastern Shore... place that God has forgotten...
Delmarva peninsula.

any price idea?

Can I damage anything if i drive prior to re-filling?
Yup you are I lived in OC for 4 years....about 25 mins from you on the 50. You could pick up a bottle at 20 max that is with shipping...but you do have to put in OEM stuff in. Try ECStuning.com or rich@autobarn(I would do that) call him and he will have it shipped to your door in 3 days.

#16 ·
Yeah Pson, this V6 can fly...
I'm from Europe (been in the states almost a year), and we don't even have V6 over there (except diesel)... I think 2.0 is the biggest gasoline engine...
When i told my friends back home that I bought a V6, they asked am I nuts! Gas is $5.60 - $5.85 per gallon (but you can get a 98 octane on every gas station)... Kinda hard to explain them that people over here are complaining abt 2.20 per gallon....

#17 ·
Jadran said:
Yeah Pson, this V6 can fly...
I'm from Europe (been in the states almost a year), and we don't even have V6 over there (except diesel)... I think 2.0 is the biggest gasoline engine...
When i told my friends back home that I bought a V6, they asked am I nuts! Gas is $5.60 - $5.85 per gallon (but you can get a 98 octane on every gas station)... Kinda hard to explain them that people over here are complaining abt 2.20 per gallon....
Yup I love the no lag from a turbo....but the 1.8T can be faster then ours but you will not have any problems like the 1.8Ters. Its a tank but funny for all the flat driving you will be doing.

#24 ·
Jadran said:
I've changed oil and filters last week.
Auto-rx, is it an add-on, how it works?
any info will be highly appreciated!
thanks...

Jay
Ok you put it in your oil for 1,500miles all new stuff. Its breaks down all the @$^ in there then you drain the old stuff and run a 10-30 in with a new filter for 2,000 miles(dnyo oil). then you repeat since your over 100,000 miles. I did it on mine at 60,000 miles and wow the stuff came out what crazy.

#25 ·
ok, few more questions:

1. where can I get this stuff? how much it costs?
2. i put it in the oil (how much should I put), drive for 2000 miles (what is 10-30??), and then drain it out?
3. then put new oil and filter?
4. what is "dnyo oil"?
5. to save you some time explaining - is there a link where the whole procedure is already written?

Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.