Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I bought my 2000 passat couple of weeks ago. Last few mornings have been very cold in Maryland (in the 20s). My car is creating some sort of a humming sound when I turn the steering wheel. It only happens in the morning, while the car is still cold. If I drive in the afternoon (when the temp comes to upper 30s/lower 40s, there is no sound or it's much more quiet).

Any idea what could be causing this?

Thanks,

Jay
 

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
Joined
·
27,900 Posts
is the power steering fluid reservoir full? is it possible that it is low (prior to expanding due to warming up)?
remember, this is a mineral oil-based fluid - do NOT use regular power steering fluid.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i haven't checked (didn't have a clue what could be causing it)...
what brand of oil would you reccommend?
(i bought the car recently, just changed oil, filters, tires and checked the belts)...

Thanks

Jay
 

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
Joined
·
27,900 Posts
you have to use the mineraloil based fluid from the VW dealership, afaik. wasn't cheap.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JayTheSnork said:
you have to use the mineraloil based fluid from the VW dealership, afaik. wasn't cheap.
closest dealership is more than 100 miles away... nothing i can buy in chain shops (autozone, pep boys etc)?
Before i refill it, is it dangerous to drive until it loosens up?
 

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
Joined
·
27,900 Posts
I've never seen it anywhere but the dealership. you can ask at the local autozone, etc, but I don't think they carry it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
pson said:
What what part of MD do you live in????? There are everywhere if not just order in from [email protected]t to deal with:thumbup:
I'm in Salisbury, Eastern Shore... place that God has forgotten...
Delmarva peninsula.

any price idea?

Can I damage anything if i drive prior to re-filling?
 
Joined
·
8,184 Posts
Jadran said:
I'm in Salisbury, Eastern Shore... place that God has forgotten...
Delmarva peninsula.

any price idea?

Can I damage anything if i drive prior to re-filling?
Yup you are I lived in OC for 4 years....about 25 mins from you on the 50. You could pick up a bottle at 20 max that is with shipping...but you do have to put in OEM stuff in. Try ECStuning.com or [email protected](I would do that) call him and he will have it shipped to your door in 3 days.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah Pson, this V6 can fly...
I'm from Europe (been in the states almost a year), and we don't even have V6 over there (except diesel)... I think 2.0 is the biggest gasoline engine...
When i told my friends back home that I bought a V6, they asked am I nuts! Gas is $5.60 - $5.85 per gallon (but you can get a 98 octane on every gas station)... Kinda hard to explain them that people over here are complaining abt 2.20 per gallon....
 
Joined
·
8,184 Posts
Jadran said:
Yeah Pson, this V6 can fly...
I'm from Europe (been in the states almost a year), and we don't even have V6 over there (except diesel)... I think 2.0 is the biggest gasoline engine...
When i told my friends back home that I bought a V6, they asked am I nuts! Gas is $5.60 - $5.85 per gallon (but you can get a 98 octane on every gas station)... Kinda hard to explain them that people over here are complaining abt 2.20 per gallon....
Yup I love the no lag from a turbo....but the 1.8T can be faster then ours but you will not have any problems like the 1.8Ters. Its a tank but funny for all the flat driving you will be doing.
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top