Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
A few weeks ago my 2000 Passat began acting odd. When I would attempt to start the vehicle it would not start, it would not even attempt to start, I thought the issue was the battery, but it was not, then replaced the starter and still the same issue. I was still having the same issue, to put more detail into my issue, when I would turn the key, the key would rotate to the start position but nothing the vehicle would not attempt to start. The radio and lights all function. Additionally, a few days ago I was giving the engine a "once over" just tugging on this, checking connections and a hose broke! Picture below, the hose ran between the double sided arrow and is just laying at the single arrow. For this hose, what hose is it? What does it do? Could it have caused my starting problems? And finally, what is wrong with my car?

Thank you for your time and help,
Pushpop

Attachments

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
That's a crankcase ventilation hose, but is not related to the car's not starting.

Next time, before replacing expensive or hard to reach components, bring up the issue here as you've done now, because a few minutes of basic troubleshooting would have ruled the battery and starter motor out. From your description, I would begin at the ignition switch. Not that I am sure, but those things sometimes fail, and they are not expensive.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
You need to replace the entire PCV system. It's old in in bad shape. Very common to happen and very common part that needs replacement. The small rubber hoses are in need of replacement also. You might have leaks in them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, guys, thanks for the help. BUUUUUUUT sadly, the problem has not been resolved. I replaced the ignition switch and it did not fix the starting issue. I've included a link to a video of me attempting to start the car, there are sounds...maybe that I help. I don't know. ;(

https://youtu.be/WkPIjlv3kuM

Thanks again for your time and help,
Pushpop

·
Registered
275 Posts
Start with the basics. What voltage do you have at the battery? All I heard was the dinging and clicking of the ignition key. Does not sound like nothing else is happening correct? Just read the first post and did you replace the battery and starter?
TomK

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kutcht,
I charged the battery from 12.24 to over 12.6?, honestly I do not recall the last digit. To me there does seem to be another sound that is not captured in the video, it is hard to explain but... it sounds like a "zap" maybe, I am not sure. I might be hearing things, I described it to a friend and he looked at me like I was an idiot, so I might just be losing my mind honestly. OK, to clarify my first post, the battery and stater did not get replaced, I put the battery on a charger over night and charged it up and a friend of a friend came by and 'tested' the starter and according to him, everything was fine with the starter. I left it at that, I don't know the guy that check the starter personally, so he could be a fool and not know what he is talking about. Additionally, I ran across another thread on the forums, I don't have the link handy as I am not at home. But it was essentially a test list of things to check when your car does not start, which I will start later tonight and I will continue to monitor this thread.

Thank you again for your time and help,
Pushpop

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
You could remove relay #12, remove its cover and re-install.
While holding the contacts closed with a piece of wood or plastic, try to start it.

If it doesn't crank, do the same with relay #13.

CAUTION: The car can be started in gear while relay #13 is bypassed. (Manual or auto)

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I would make sure your battery is and keeps a full charge. With even a semi weak battery it can prevent the car from starting. It will turn over but won't have enough umph! to actually get it running but you aren't even getting a clicking so not sure I can be of any help :-(

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@ chefro,
1. I actually put the battery on the trickle charger last night and just checked it, the battery was at 13.31
2. I am unable to get in contact with my friend that "tested" the starter

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
Clip a test lead to the big lug on the starter, which is direct from the battery. Ground the other test lead and set your DVM for DC Volts. You should see your 13+ Volts. Now have someone try to start the engine. If the voltage remains the same, then the circuit to the solenoid or the starter motor windings is not complete. If that is the case, and you hear the starter solenoid clicking when the start is attempted, next move the first test lead to the short, large wire from the solenoid to the motor. Try starting again, and see what you get. If 13 Volts but no motor run, then the problem is internal to the motor. If no voltage, then the solenoid switch isn't making contact.

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
Clean battery posts and terminals and tighten.
Check/clean battery to body ground connection.
Check/clean engine to body ground cable connections.
Get the battery fully charged and load tested.

I can't tell what happens when in the video; do all the instrument lights go off when you turn the key to start ?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Today, after I tested the starter, I went to roll down my windows to air out the car, and while I was there, I attempted to start it....AND IT STARTED, like there was nothing ever wrong with it!!! I have no idea what is going on, maybe the car is a demon car sent from the deepest reaches of demon car hell to haunt me...I do not know!

@Tom, ill give do your procedure tomorrow.

Thanks

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.