Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2000 VW Passat Wagon 4Motion ATQ Autobox
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I recently purchased this car, I was informed that the motor had been replaced due to the timing belt failure. I'm trying to confirm this and to get more specific info about the motor. I've done some searching but so far have not found anything.

Here's what I have found:
  • right front cylinder head designation - ATQ
  • left front cylinder head designation - A E 170328 078 09
    • 087 C
I have confirmed the VIN for this car and some basic info but I want to verify this motor is not the original and some more detail if possible; i.e. numbers matching, B5 or B5.5, etc?

Reference fotos attached.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
6,926 Posts
  • left front cylinder head designation - A E 170328 078 09
    • 087 C
This has nothing to do with head designation. It's the part number of the CCT.

I don't have my decoder ring with me at work, but looking at the VIN will determine whether this car was originally an AHA or ATQ.

At any rate, the two engines are interchangeable mechanically wise. What changes between the AHA vs the ATQ is the emissions system and the AHA being drive by cable, the ATQ being drive by wire.

Just a question, what's the big concern over what engine came with it originally? It's not like it's going to raise the value of the car if the numbers match or not.
This isn't a 1967 Shelby GT500 or anything like that.
Unless you're just looking for information just to be in the know.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Indeed. And I don’t think Audi/VW keep track down to that level anyway. The best they can do is tell you which batch of engine serial numbers went with your specific VIN.

IIRC, ‘99 MY and prior was ATH. ‘00 and later was ATQ. My 2000 had an ATQ.

·
Registered
2000 VW Passat Wagon 4Motion ATQ Autobox
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My efforts are to confirm what I was told about this car when I purchased it; i.e. the engine swap due to the original getting grenaded by a timing belt failure.

Additionally, for parts by MY as to my understanding from some chatter here, PW, that this may be a 'cusp' year car. Maybe 2001 MYs had them. 'Cusp' years are when there are somethings that are done from a previous or upcoming models. I've experienced this on BMWs, Alfa Romeos, Isuzus, etc.

Fer sure the motor's an ATQ with drive by wire tb and it ain't no Shelby which would be nice nor is it a classic. Good car though and because of its history I'm trying to get it up to good condition.

Thanks guys.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts